Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Just says.. Starting Grub Stage 1.5 Loading Grub Error 21 Does everything look fine with fdisk -l? Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just says..

Starting Grub Stage 1.5

Loading Grub
    Error 21

Does everything look fine with fdisk -l?

Thanks.

Linux Newbie
    I am not expert but I believe Grub can not boot from an external USB device.

Don't take my word for it, make a Grub bootable CD, boot it up and issue the "geometery" command to see it yourself if Grub can recognise the external USB hard disks.
    Code:
    geometry (hd0)
    should return the information on the internal laptop hard disk.
    Code:
    geometry (hd1)
    should display the partitions of the 2nd hard disk which is the external USB device in this case. I believe the second geometry command may indicate a dead horse is being flogged by users insisting Grub can boot from an external USB disk.

The exact wording from Section 14.3 of Grub 0.97 Manual is

21 : Selected disk does not exist

This error is returned if the device part of a device- or full file name refers to a disk or BIOS device that is not present or not recognized by the BIOS in the system.
    Distros can always be installed into an external hard disks because it is the kernel that recognises the USB devices. When Grub is loaded it doesn't have access to the kernel because it isn't loaded yet.

To boot a distro from a USB device special provisions are needed.

I am hoping an expert can prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    I am not expert but I believe Grub can not boot from an external USB device.
    if machine's BIOS supports booting up from External Disk, GRUB can boot up without any problem.

edit grub.conf and device.map files
    Code:
    title linux
    kernal (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img
    Code:
    (hd0) /dev/sda
    (hd1) /dev/sdb
    check if Linux boots up now. we will fix Windows after this.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi devils_casper,

Nope that didn't work too. Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's what I tried.

- Started Mandriva using the live CD
    - Used the configuation tool to set how the system boots.
    - It gives four bootloader options - Lilo graphical, Lilo text, grub graphical & grub text.
    - I choose grub text & select boot device as sda. The other options sdb, sdb1, sdb5 & sdb6.
    - Once that's done there are five entries - linux, linux-nonfb, failsafe, windows & windows1 & there is an option to add, modify or delete any of the entries. Which raises the question - when you asked me to try out some of the options, were you suggesting that I use only the one you have put down? Does it make a difference which one the default is? The linux entry is default by default.
    - I modify the first 3 entries - linux, linux-nonfb & failsafe to use root /dev/sdb1.
    - I don't make any changes for the windows entry which uses root /dev/sda1.

Once this is one, the grub installation takes place. After which I can view the device.map & menu.lst files under /boot/grub. Prior there's not much in the folder, just menu.lst.example & a couple of zipped files.

Maybe I am making a mistake somewhere in the above. What's worse is the laptop won't boot from the windows installation cd. I burned super Fdisk on a bootable cd.. that didn't work as well. I think I may need a windows XP image to boot it..

Thanks..

the question - when you asked me to try out some of the options, were you suggesting that I use only the one you have put down? Does it make a difference which one the default is? The linux entry is default by default.
    Linux entry is default by default BUT in most cases, if you install GRUB in the MBR of disk that does have GRUB's conf files, GRUB creates problems. actually this is not GRUB's fault. BIOS is the culprit. we have to configure/edit conf files according to BIOS.

/dev/sda1 * 1 4478 35969503+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    in original device.map,
    (hd0) /dev/sda
    original menu.lst
    kernal (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1
    according to output of fdisk -l and contents of device.map file, your Windows Disk (sda) is Primary Master BUT according to grub.conf file, Linux is installed in Primary Master Harddisk only.
    we have to reconfigure menu.lst and device.map files.

if GRUB is installed in the MBR of Internal Harddisk ( not in the boot sector ), then correct combination is
    device.map
    Code:
    (hd0) /dev/sda
    (hd1) /dev/sdb
    menu.lst
    Code:
    title linux
    kernal (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img
    you have to correct splashimage and root(xxx) lines too.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Tried that as well. No luck...

For some strange reason, the laptop won't boot from a XP install CD, XP bootable cd, bootable Super Fdisk, bootable BartPE, DOS boot & some more. I don't get why the only thing that will boot is Mandriva from the live CD? Think the problem I've run into will require lots more work... tsk. Oh well.. if you have any more suggestions, I will gladly try them. I am running out of ideas... thanks for your patience.

create Bootable CD through Nero. it has an option in its Menu. boot up from that CD, you will get Dr Dos prompt. execute 'fixmbr' command.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Not sure what's going on. I created a bootable cd from Nero but that doesn't seem to work as well. It doesn't recognize any other bootable cd except the Madriva live cd.

Is there any app that I could use on Madriva to fix mbr? Thanks..

Linux Newbie
    If you are desperate you can download FreeDos as it supplies an iso image for CD. Freedos has a DOS command fdisk.exe inside. Once booted up to restore MS's MBR for XP is
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    The normal route is to use XP's installation CD in recovery console with command
    Code:
    fixmbr
    Dos fdisk.exe also works because MS systems use a common MBR.

You may check the methods on how others boot a Linux successfully from an external hard disk.

I should have kept my mouth shut and mind my own business I know but I don't have a heart seeing two users keep flogging a dead horse and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by saikee
    I should have kept my mouth shut and mind my own business I know but I don't have a heart seeing two users keep flogging a dead horse and do nothing.
    doing NOTHING ? how could you say that? we are trying our best buddy ! please QUOTE any of my post in this thread thats useless in your opinion.

your freedos CD suggestion is excellent BUT mind your words and if you can't, keep your mouth shut. you have already wasted a lot of my time in other thread. dont start it again.

have a nice day !

Casper

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast