Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed Mandriva and im totally new to linux but i was told Mandriva was great for first timers. I must say i like it alot, im just in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Installing Winamp in Mandriva

I just installed Mandriva and im totally new to linux but i was told Mandriva was great for first timers. I must say i like it alot, im just in the process of installing software that im farmiliar with such as limewire/frostwire and winamp. Winamp is giving me a bit of trouble. I run the rpm and i get a message saying ¨some requested packages could not be installed: winamp-0.a1.i386 (due to unsatisfied Xfree86-libs) Continue installationanyway?¨. I tried to continue but the installation was unsuccessfull. I was thinking that maybe that the unsatisfied file mentioned in the error was a prerequisite file needed for winamp to be installed so i googled Xfree86-libs amd downloaded it in the form of an rpm and installed it, but with no luck. If anybody could help me or steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated, i would really like to get winamp up and running!

I didn't know you could run WinAmp on a Linux distro. I use XMMS which is so much like WinAmp it looks the same! It would be better to install the package using Mandriva's package management system (urpm) as that would handle any dependencies for you.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I didn't know you could run WinAmp on a Linux distro. I use XMMS which is so much like WinAmp it looks the same!
    and its developed by WinAmp Developers only. in starting they suggested name 'LinAmp' but finally released it with name 'xmms'. i dont know why?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I have tried the same things also with the same results... I tried to get limewire to install but no luck. Could someone please help us?

Quote Originally Posted by kikwear
    I have tried the same things also with the same results... I tried to get limewire to install but no luck. Could someone please help us?
    Limewire depends very heavily on Java (which is now open source ... everyone say 'Woo-hooooo!') It depends how you've tried to install Limewire. If you just download the rpm and install it on its own, you might have less luck than using urpm.

Successfully installing many rpms is a question of learning about how your package manager works. You can use it from the Mandriva Control Centre (the gui method) or from a terminal.

You will need to add some software repositories to your rpm database. Include Javapackages, contrib, main, updates. Then - if you're happy using a terminal - enter your root password and type:

urpmi limewire

It should install, as Limewire is well supported in Mandriva.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    What about Winamp?

What about Winamp?
    What about it? XMMS works natively in Linux behaves almost identically. You can even apply Winamp skins to XMMS. What does Winamp do for you that's worth the effort of emulating it?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Smile Limewire

You need to install java runtime environment, get it from java.com. It also has some instructions on installing it too. Good Luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your input everybody! xmms sounds like the better option

Just Joined!
    If you absolutely need to run WinAmp and you have a pc, use Wine HQ (google it).

I would suggest XMMS however.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast