Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I've been trying to get a support for typing chinese characters on my computer for some time now and I'm getting litle frustrated with it. I have scim installed, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Need help with getting support for typing chinese

Hi
    I've been trying to get a support for typing chinese characters on my computer for some time now and I'm getting litle frustrated with it. I have scim installed, it is active (I can see it's icon on the toolbar righ next to amaroks), I have set the shortcuts for activating chinese typing but it simply doesn't do anything when I try to use it.
    I got this working quite easily in Mandriva 2006 but after upgrading to 2007, no luck. It does work if I change the whole system language to chinese, but I want to keep that in finnish.
    I'm using Mandriva 2007 (like I said before) with KDE.

I got it finally (allmost) working, I had to do was to add lines
    Code:
    GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
    QT_IM_MODULE=scim
    XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
    XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
    to my .i18n file. It works now with the programs that rely on gtk but not with the ones that use qt.

How ever this brought me a new problem. When I boot and try to login to kde or gnome, they either refuse to start or look litle funny... (just the borders of the windows are visible)

I allways have to remove those lines from .i18n file, reboot, login, add the lines again and logout and login again.
    After this it works.

Any idea anyone?