Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Another question (please reply): To install mandriva on my system, do I need to download all three CDs from their website? i.e. http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free My only worry is that, they keep ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Another question (please reply):

To install mandriva on my system, do I need to download all three CDs from their website?
    i.e. http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

My only worry is that, they keep on saying "trial"...so i am confused whether its a "trial" version or comeplete version on which, if I save some setting it will stay the way I saved them OR they will change on every reboot.

If I download the whole package from their site then will I be able to install it the way Windows XP is installed?

Thanks.

INL
    Just Joined!
    From the website it looks like a trimmed down version of the version that isn't free (mandriva one), it does not appear to terminate itself after X days or X number of uses, etc. That being said, I really do not know.

And about installing it: If you want to install just mandriva, you'll want to format your hard drive on XP, stick the mandriva CD in and boot/install from there (make sure you can boot from a CD, and read Mandriva's documentation...). However, be warned that some of your hardware may not work (currently I'm having trouble getting my network PCI adapter working on Fedora, I assume the problem is much the same on Mandriva). Until you get all of that working... you may want to set up a dual-boot. I know fedora comes with GRUB, and you can use that to boot from, or there's also BootIt, Next Generation, and I'm sure another of other boot loaders... both work fine, though BootIt is shareware. Also, chances are if you're on XP you'll need to repartition your hard-drive, BootIt is a good program to do that with (namely because it worked and it's free for a while, until you have to pay to continue using it). I can't be much more specific than that; I don't use Mandriva.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for ur reply. I think "mandriva one" is free. I downloaded it and it runs fine. The problem with mandriva one is that it has to run from CD-ROM, so any change made to the settings does not save ( as it can't be written to the CD).
    Thats why I want to install mandriva on my system so that i can save the setting and run my programs.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Mandriva One has an installer does it not? If not, Mandriva Free is free and does not have an expiry.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    So if I downlad Mandriva CD version (4 CDs), is it totally free?
    Also, will I able to install it with WIN XP as a dula boot?

Just Joined!
    Balli
    If you are running your XP in an NTFS partition and install almost any version of Linux you will be at risk of loosing your XP. Understand, that Linux does NOT have an uninstall. You may be better off running from one of the bootable CDís for awhile until you get real use to using Linux and find out what it can and cannot do for you.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for ur suggestion.
    I started working with CD bootable version but the only thing which annoys me is that, it doesn't save the changes made to it for obvious reasons.I want to use C++ compiler (G++) but I have to install it everytime I run it.

Thats the reason I want to insstall it on my laptop like WinXP.

I know windows is NTFS and that may be a problem. I just want to know if anybdy else has tried it and how did it work.

Just Joined!
    Plug in a usb stick, and you can save to there.

BTW, Mandriva Free uses only free as in freedom software (on propietary thing such as flash, java, real, drivers, anything closed source, mp3s, ect...).

Mandriva One includes some of those things.

True, you do run the risk of ruining your NTFS partition. With this said though, it should still work (did it here). There will be an option to resize your NTFS partition during the install so as to make free space for you. You will want to back up your important files first though just in case.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlah_X
    Plug in a usb stick, and you can save to there.
    How does that work?
    I am running from CD-ROM, how will I specify that i wanna save into USB?
    Also, when I again boot from CD-ROM, how will it know to get the latest from USB?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast