Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbie, so sorry if this seems like a silly request, but whenever I click on a link to a WMV file, it opens KMPlayer, and seems to run, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you play WMV files in Mandriva 2007 free version

I'm a newbie, so sorry if this seems like a silly request, but whenever I click on a link to a WMV file, it opens KMPlayer, and seems to run, but no picture is displayed.

Is this blocked in the free version because MPEGs seem to play fine.

Thanks

Mark

You first need to add the proper repositories, from which you can download non-free multimedia codecs. More info here :
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Then you'll need to install the package win32-codecs.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thank you Antidrugue for your response. After I download the files, how do I install the package Win32-codec?

Once urpmi is rightly configured (using the instructions provided on the site I gave you the link), you can simply install it like that :
    Code:
    urpmi win32-codecs
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I would also suggest

urpmi kplayer

if you are looking for a standalone player, KPlayer is much better than KMPlayer. But leave KMPlayer around for when you need to play videos embedded in web pages.