Find the answer to your Linux question:
What did i do? I have been playing with mandriva for a couple of weeks now, i thought i had just about overcome all my initial problems, drivers etc. Finally ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

desktop problems with mandriva 2007

What did i do?
    I have been playing with mandriva for a couple of weeks now, i thought i had just about overcome all my initial problems, drivers etc. Finally everything was working great!
    Now my desktop has gone haywire
    I can't have multiple desktops, i set it to 4, click apply and it goes back to 1.

I have no title bar at the top of any windows i open, i can't resize them minimise them or shut them down.
    If i open a terminal it won't allow me to type in it, it just sits there with a flashing cursor
    my keyboard and mouse are working correctly, i can open up open office and type without a problem.
    I have been through all my settings regarding my desktop and set them all back to default without any luck.
    any ideas?

Just Joined!
    ty so much it worked !!
    it was hard to do as i couldn't type my password into cive me root privaledges, i found i was able to cut and paste still ,its all working again, saved me alot of work reinstalling again.

Post Re:Desktop Problems

Hi porsher_puddles,

This is just for information, which may be of use, Using the MCC Mandriva Control Centre, under the 3D desktop settings, you can set and configure your desktop. It worked for me..... .

I hope this will be of some use to you.

jnike

Just Joined!

Mandriva Powerpak +

During the period from Dec 2006 to Feb 2007 the Mandriva Power Pack Plus was working greate for me. I was playing with 3D even NVIDIA Driver and matching Linux Kernel installed automaticaly by Nvidia installation. But I am unable to have 3D Desktop. Although Nvidia Linux 9746 driver installed correctly. But the Mandriva still shows Legecy Driver 8764 and Kernel version 2.6.17.5mdv-0.2007 stripped version. I do not know what is wrong?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by porsher_puddles View Post
    ty so much it worked !!
    it was hard to do as i couldn't type my password into cive me root privaledges, i found i was able to cut and paste still ,its all working again, saved me alot of work reinstalling again.
    So what was the solution? I have the same problem using the propriety drivers form ati on my ati radeon 9200.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by amadeus266 View Post
    So what was the solution? I have the same problem using the propriety drivers form ati on my ati radeon 9200.
    this was awhile back and i'm not useing mandriva at the moment, but i think what i did was create a new user account and then delete my old one. somehow i got a glitch in my old user account, and my desktop was really messed up and i couldn't fix it. i don't know if this is the same problem that you have, but it shouldn't cause any problems trying it. if it works just simply delete your old user account afterwards, let me know how you go