Find the answer to your Linux question:
So far I have downloaded both: Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Beta 1 DVD (ISO) (4300 MB) and Mandriva Linux 2007 DVD (ISO) i586 (4300 MB) And after going through hours to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What 32bit distribution!

So far I have downloaded both:

Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Beta 1 DVD (ISO) (4300 MB)
    and
    Mandriva Linux 2007 DVD (ISO) i586 (4300 MB)

And after going through hours to try and get it to install it tells me "your CPU does not support long mode use a 32 bit distribution". It says this on both the versions I have downloaded!!!

OK, first I downloaded "Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Beta 1 DVD" and it told me use a 32 bit diestrbution so I went and downloaded "Mandriva Linux 2007 DVD (ISO) i586" because I thought that was the 32bit distribution. WHAT IS GOING ON?Is that not the 32 bit?

P.S. after a total of 20hrs downloading both distributions, form softpedia.com, I am sick of downloading and now I would really like to be able to make one of the distributions I downloaded JUST WORK.

Is there some way to modify the ones I downloaded?

Thanks, Tommy

Hi - I understand your frustration. If you post the links you've downloaded from perhaps we can comment further. If you really are trying to run a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit chip you won't get anywhere.

What happened when you tried to boot the i586? That should be fine. I find the softpedia site a bit too glitzy! Maybe you should source your download elsewhere?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Post Additional Information

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...load-3418.html , I've downloaded the first two!

I'm now thinking its the bootable floppy disk that creating the problem, what files do I need to put on the floppy??

I think its the floppy because it says it wont work before it even starts reading the CD/DVD it just starts to load from the floppy then says it doesnt work.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Post Information about my PC

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5GD1-VM Rev 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1008.001 11/02/2004
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    152.08 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    73.87 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD DUAL 4XMax SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    DV4500N WFB522L SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Apple iPod USB Device [Hard drive] (2.04 GB) -- drive 2
    ST340014A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5JVQLHQ2, rev 8.54, SMART Status: Healthy
    WDC WD1200BB-00GUA0 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCALK1262660, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
    Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
    Slot 'DIMM2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 120.02 GB 52.37 GB free
    g: (on drive 1) 32.05 GB 21.50 GB free

This information came form BELARC ADVISOR

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by tommytabib
    So far I have downloaded both:

Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Beta 1 DVD (ISO) (4300 MB)
    and
    Mandriva Linux 2007 DVD (ISO) i586 (4300 MB)

And after going through hours to try and get it to install it tells me "your CPU does not support long mode use a 32 bit distribution". It says this on both the versions I have downloaded!!!

OK, first I downloaded "Mandriva Linux 2007.1 Beta 1 DVD" and it told me use a 32 bit diestrbution so I went and downloaded "Mandriva Linux 2007 DVD (ISO) i586" because I thought that was the 32bit distribution. WHAT IS GOING ON?Is that not the 32 bit?

P.S. after a total of 20hrs downloading both distributions, form softpedia.com, I am sick of downloading and now I would really like to be able to make one of the distributions I downloaded JUST WORK.

Is there some way to modify the ones I downloaded?

Thanks, Tommy
    hi, i have same problem .. i want to unistall xandros and change it with mandrake, after i restart my pc, put in mandrake cd, but after booting from cd, there was warning "your CPU does not support long mode use a 32 bit distribution", what must i do to uninstall xandros n change it to mandrake ..
    please help me, thanks

icha

I figured it out on my pc and now mandriva workes perfect.

Try just downloading the "i586" version and it should work just fine.

Good luck

Just Joined!

Unhappy please ..

Quote Originally Posted by tommytabib
    I figured it out on my pc and now mandriva workes perfect.

Try just downloading the "i586" version and it should work just fine.

Good luck
    it's mean i must download new version of mandrake or ... what .. i really confuse

Well to be honest with you i've only had linux for 2weeks and I dont really know much about it so i cannot help at this stage.

The good news is these boards are filled with experts wiling to help, they helped me and now im using linux, just post another thread/board and they'll help you.