Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, here the problem: 1. I downloaded mandriva linux free 2007 2. I burnt it onto a DVD 3. I booted the DVD 4. Clicked Install, kept freezing up so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry Going bald from stress!

Ok, here the problem:

1. I downloaded mandriva linux free 2007
    2. I burnt it onto a DVD
    3. I booted the DVD
    4. Clicked Install, kept freezing up so I now use the other install - ACPI (or something like that *cant remember)
    5. It partitions and everything
    6. It gets to start installing then after a few minutes:

AN ERROR OCCURRED
    Error opening RPM database: cannot open
    packages database in /mnt/var/lib/rpm

7. I've been looking up solutions and trying everything but nothing is working.
    8. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by tommytabib
    Ok, here the problem:

1. I downloaded mandriva linux free 2007
    2. I burnt it onto a DVD
    3. I booted the DVD
    4. Clicked Install, kept freezing up so I now use the other install - ACPI (or something like that *cant remember)
    5. It partitions and everything
    6. It gets to start installing then after a few minutes:

AN ERROR OCCURRED
    Error opening RPM database: cannot open
    packages database in /mnt/var/lib/rpm

7. I've been looking up solutions and trying everything but nothing is working.
    8. Please help!
    Sounds like a dirty and or damaged DVD to me. Did you verify the sha1sums or md5 sums of the DVD?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

verify....how?

How do I verify either of those things. And I've downloaded two versions of mandriva and they both give me the same error. Will burning another DVD work??

MikeTbob is probably right. It does sound like a bad burn.

If you don't want to redownload the dvd, just download Mandriva One (Gnome or KDE edition) :
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/mandrivaone

Make sure you verify the md5sum before burning it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Thumbs down Didn't work

I re burnt it at the slowest burning speed (took an hour), i used alcohol 120%. Still I get the same result!

Please tell me where to get a verifying program, a free one, and how to use it.

Thanks

Post softpedia

P.S. i downloaded the mandriva i am trying to run from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...load-3418.html
    so if someone could please check that out and tell me if its corrupt or anything.

Thanks again

Just Joined!
    Normally when I download any linux Distro,I download it through Direct download (which most of the time results in a faulty copy),then simply use the torrent file from the same place I got the direct download from (IF they offer one) or look for it.

The trick here is to start the torrent,and once the torrent program creates the file its supposed to download I simply close the torrent program and then replace that file with my copy that I got from Direct download (Make sure the filenames are the same),run the torrent program again and do a force recheck,most of the time it'll find any missing pieces and redownload them resulting in a full copy

Hope this can help,it works for me,but I'm a lucky guy,and with a slow connection this can psare me redownloading the same file again.

Quote Originally Posted by tommytabib
    P.S. i downloaded the mandriva i am trying to run from http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownl...load-3418.html
    so if someone could please check that out and tell me if its corrupt or anything.

Thanks again
    That version is a Beta. It might not be very stable.

You can use that software to test the md5sum :
    http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

Then compare this result with the one you are suppose to have (which is in the .md5 file that comes with Mandriva).

For more detail, you can search Google or the Forums, as it is perhaps one the most asked question.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

New download

Alright so far i've downloaded 2 mandriva OS(from softpedia) and both didn't work so now im downloading the torrent from the mandriva website.

It already taken a good 11hrs and is set to take another 9hrs. So please is there any way someone can directly connect to me and give me the download faster? Or some tip/trick to get it to download faster. This would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i have a 1.5mb broadband connection and the torrent is now only downloading at 33kbps.
    Thanks

I think you might want to look at Knoppix, it is a LiveCD also and it's more widely available.
    33kbps is wayyyyyy too low, I've had better download speeds with a 56k modem.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast