Find the answer to your Linux question:
On Mandrake LE 2005 what is the most simple way to setup Shorewall Firewall for Single Computer? Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Shorewall Firewall

On Mandrake LE 2005 what is the most simple way to setup Shorewall Firewall for Single Computer?
    Thanks

Hi - Shorewall is the default firewall in 2005, so you should just be able to go to the Mandriva Control Centre - under 'configure my computer' from the start menu - and navigate from there.

Be careful though, as it's easy to get confused about which things you've allowed access to. As always read any documentation that comes with Mandriva about setting up Shorewall. Reading a help file can save you a lot of time in the end.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Question Shorewall

Quote Originally Posted by fingal

Be careful though, as it's easy to get confused about which things you've allowed access to. As always read any documentation that comes with Mandriva about setting up Shorewall. Reading a help file can save you a lot of time in the end.
    Yes I have got confused,
    For Normal ADSL on Single Computer with Standard Security
    What Services Should I allow without Blocking me Out.
    Sam
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-c
    Yes I have got confused,
    For Normal ADSL on Single Computer with Standard Security
    What Services Should I allow without Blocking me Out.
    Sam
    Thanks
    Hi - you're okay to allow TCP/IP. That's your standard Internet protocol. Block that and you won't have access. I block pings and ftp, but that doesn't mean you can't initiate these yourself (for example for pinging websites and downloading). As far as I know, Shorewall just blocks incoming stuff.

Mandriva offers a quite simple way to configure Shorewall, but it has its own configuration files, which I don't like to get involved with. I think the main config file gives you a wider range of options, but as a desktop user I would say you don't really need that.

Something to try - when you've played around with your settings - is to visit this site for a free scan. It'll soon let you know if you're secure or not.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso