Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've just installed Mandriva Discovery, I'm quite happy with it as well, except for a couple things. One I can live without for now (HDTV Fushion) but the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Realtek AC'97 Audio card

Hi, I've just installed Mandriva Discovery, I'm quite happy with it as well, except for a couple things. One I can live without for now (HDTV Fushion) but the other one I would like to have up and working, it's the Realtek AC"97 Audio Card I have, I've tried everything i can think of (but that is a bit limited anyway). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post the output of lspci
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!

Post output

00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTra nsport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Con troller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscella neous Control
    01:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
    01:07.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decode r [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
    01:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Contro ller (PHY/Link)
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS] (reval)

Hope you can decipher my problem.

Thanks for you help, I've only played around in Linux on and off since 1998 (Red Hat 5.2 & a distro every so often), this is the 1st time I've really decided to go and with luck have a complete Linux system (still dual boot for the moment though).

a1)

Just Joined!
    There are some Realtek AC'97 Audio Drivers here.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

I have not installed them yet. I just install Mandriva 2007 yesterday...so I am still learning. I do have my audio working. I am using the ALSA Drivers that were installed by default and it works OK.

Just Joined!

Alsa

I've tried ALSA but when I do it keeps saying it can't install the AOSS package, so for now I have to do without, bugger, maybe I should go buy a soundblaster card one with SPDIF output.

Just Joined!

Realtek AC'97

I am using Mandriva 2007 Power plus . I have once tried to install Realtek Linux drivers. But being Newbie I could do the installation correctly. In the process I lost the sound and default ALSA. I do no want to live without sound. So I opened "Mandriva Linux Control Center", Clicked "Hardware" selected "Look and configure the hardware" and restored the drivers of Mandriva in Sound Card Section. Realtek gives all the pleasure of multichannel sound to me.