Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello folks, I started using Mandriva linux a few days ago. So I was going threw the system and learning more about it. Unfortunately I changed resolution to 1600x1200 but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quite a prob. with resolution

Hello folks,

I started using Mandriva linux a few days ago. So I was going threw the system and learning more about it. Unfortunately I changed resolution to 1600x1200 but my monitor provides at most 1280x1024. The only OS I can use now is Win. XP. Is there any chance I can change the resolution from Windown?
    Or do I have to re-install the Linux OS?

Thank you for patience
    Any answer will be appreciated

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I don't think there is any need to reinstall. Can you provide a bit more information about what happens when you boot into Linux.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    I don't think there is any need to reinstall. Can you provide a bit more information about what happens when you boot into Linux.
    If I try to boot the system on the screen appears floating note that "input is not provided for my monitor(too high resolution)" The Linux works because I can hear the welcome sound but I cant see anything on the screen just that resolution note.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Ok, after the welcome sound, do CTRL-ALT-F1, login to the terminal as root and then run the command XFdrake to reconfigure the graphics card. Another command you can run is xorgconfig and it does the same job as XFdrake.

Just Joined!
    I tried it a few times but still the same problem... I tried to change the resolution to the lowest possible (640x480) which should be working with no problem...

The problem remains with no change... Now I really dont know what to do

I dont understand how could this even happen especially in linux... I would understand this in Windows, but in case of Linux...