Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Ive been trying to install Mandriva. Vista is the on the first 60 GB of the samsung drive. I get to after the partition setup and then it says, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Problem, Partition Problem

Hey

Ive been trying to install Mandriva.
    Vista is the on the first 60 GB of the samsung drive.
    I get to after the partition setup and then it says, cannot mount win/win/dev (and something more, i will get spec) in /win/dev/win_failed.

How can it not mount something in a folder called win_failed, it doesnt sound right.

System Specs
    Windows Vista
    AMD 64 AM2 X2 4200+
    Gigabyte K9N SLI with the newest bios, 3.30
    nForce 570 Chipset
    2 GB of corsair VS ddr2
    Gainward Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB Directx 10
    Samsung Sata 2 80 GB (vista uses the first 60 and the rest is for fedora)
    2 Seagate 200GB in raid 0 (Fedora recognizes them nicely)
    2 Onboard NVIDIA Lan gigabit
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    Pinnacle PCTV 300i
    Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109 16X (ATAPI)
    Sony CD-RW cxr195 (ATAPI)

What am I doing wrong?

Just Joined!

Development

Hey

Theres been a development, in the install i said no to activate the raid partition and it worked. Now however i cannot get in the graphical interface (gnome). Since i have a geforce 8800 card its to new, its not listed. I think thats the problem. So i went to nvidia and downloaded Linux 64 drivers but when i go to install it in grub it says its not for the mandriva distribution, the kernel is wrong or something.

Any tips?

Hi - you might want to read the GRUB tutorial in the tutorials / HOWTOs section of this site. You can't install software from the GRUB CLI (though I'm not sure if that's what you tried).

I think GRUB is looking for the path to your kernel, but you need to read a guide as it's a little hard to get going at first: however, very stable when you've mastered it.

Once you have a working system, you can install the video drivers via a terminal (bash or sh: either will do). Bear in mind that the GRUB command line is just for GRUB. Not sure if you can 'shell out' to Bash from in there.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

yeah i meant bash

I mean bash, i run at level 3 and as root, thats what the installer requests. Then it says it needs precompiled kernel Interface and it will need the source code for mandrive. It tries to download a kernel interface from nvidia's ftp but there is none there, i have looked through the whole ftp and cant fin any.

So where is the source code and where do i put it?

Hi - ah yes ... it needs the kernel source code which Mandriva doesn't install by default. That should be on your installation disk. Not sure of the exact name but it's something like 'kernel-source' followed by a version number. Be sure to install the right source code for your kernel. I think (and I'm not on a Linux macine atm) the command uname -a might be useful to get your kernel version.

Basically installing video drivers is a huge pain and I try to avoid doing it. Please don't let that put you off as people do it successfully every day. The kernel source code will unpack itself into the correct directories if you use Mandriva's software installer.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso