Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i was told mandriva had a GUI. . .i installed it and all iget is a command promp. . . .?? anyone plz???? or whats the command to enable GUI...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wheres the GUI

i was told mandriva had a GUI. . .i installed it and all iget is a command promp. . . .??

anyone plz????

or whats the command to enable GUI

Most distros have GUIs. Try:

startx or try startkde

You can select GUI options when you install, but if you leave them out you just get a terminal. If you manage to start a GUI you can set it up to start whenever you log in by changing options in the Mandriva Control Centre.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm
    i tried both commands. . .
    on the first one i got
    X10: fatal 10 error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server "0.0" after 0 request (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining

on the second one i got
    error: cant contact kdeinit!
    xmodmap: unable to pen display " "

and other thingies that say that there were no display files and stuff. . .

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm
    maybe reinstall???

i dont know, my friend gave me 3 mandrake cds. . . it only prompted for 1. . .and when i inserted no. 2 it did boot (as if it were linux) then it said "not a linux cd"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I would consider reinstalling. I suspect that the gui options just aren't installed on your system. If you take that route it's best to ensure that you select 'Start GUI when booting' or whatever it's called ... you can choose to install KDE / Gnome and many others.

You said your friend gave you Mandrake CDs. I wonder which version you've got there? I would look for something later than Mandriva 2005 if possible, but that's just my personal view.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    its 10.4 i think. . . still i dont know how to uninstall it. . . =/
    thnkz BTW

Quote Originally Posted by GoGeTa666
    its 10.4 i think. . . still i dont know how to uninstall it. . . =/
    thnkz BTW
    If you're just going to install it over again, there's no reason to uninstall it first.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    mmmm so i just place the boot cd again ???

Just Joined!
    i placed the boot cd twice already:

first time: light blue screen appeared said "install = enter" and "more options = f1"

i pressed enter
    waited arround 10 minutes and said "sending termination signals" and the computer rebooted . . . well that didnt help. ..i still hadt eh same problem

so i tried using F1. .. more options and i did the "TEXT INSTALATION WITH NORMAL GRAPHIC RESOLUTION"

and well. . .i got the same result actually. . .(except for the termination signals stuff)

and well. . .now im wondering how do i delete everything on the harddrive. .. can the BIOS do that?
    i wanna start from scratch

and yes i have MANDRAKE LINUX (wich i was told was the same as mandriva) v10.0

. . . =)

Quote Originally Posted by GoGeTa666
    i placed the boot cd twice already:

first time: light blue screen appeared said "install = enter" and "more options = f1"

i pressed enter
    waited arround 10 minutes and said "sending termination signals" and the computer rebooted . . . well that didnt help. ..i still hadt eh same problem

so i tried using F1. .. more options and i did the "TEXT INSTALATION WITH NORMAL GRAPHIC RESOLUTION"

and well. . .i got the same result actually. . .(except for the termination signals stuff)

and well. . .now im wondering how do i delete everything on the harddrive. .. can the BIOS do that?
    i wanna start from scratch

and yes i have MANDRAKE LINUX (wich i was told was the same as mandriva) v10.0

. . . =)
    Mandrake v10.0 is about 3 years old. I think you want Mandriva 2007.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!
    MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    aight aight
    thnkz
    gonna see if i can get it =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast