Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have attempted to run the sndconfig in the console but it's not even seeing my sound card. I am running a Dell digiplex GPx. Any suggestions?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound cards

I have attempted to run the sndconfig in the console but it's not even seeing my sound card. I am running a Dell digiplex GPx. Any suggestions?

A good starting point is to type: lspci . The output from that will tell you a lot about your soundcard and its chipset.

Then figure out which sound server you're running. ALSA is probably the best one to use, so from the desktop menu try:

System>Configuration>Configure your Desktop>Sound System --- Select the Hardware tab. ALSA supports a wide range of different hardware(s). Also, check the option for duplex sound.

Then - in a terminal - type alsamixer. Turn up as many channels as you can, while being aware that this might need altering later if you get rock stadium-type feedback! Hit the escape key. Any luck?

If not, it might be that you haven't got the right driver set up for your card. You can select another driver via the Mandriva control centre. Refer back to the output from lspci. This indicates which sound driver you're using. Eg:
    Code:
    00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
    The bit in bold is the driver for a cheap Creative sound card, which actually works very well indeed.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieT64
    I have attempted to run the sndconfig in the console but it's not even seeing my sound card. I am running a Dell digiplex GPx. Any suggestions?
    Also, My system doesn't see the sound card because while it's booting, I see the message 'Loading sound module (adlib_card)...' followed by 'FAILED' in red letters.

Hmmm not good. It looks to me like this might need a kernel recompile (I hope not). I have no idea which sound card you're using.

You see, you should be able to open a terminal and type:

su
    <enter_your_password>

Then, you would type lsmod | grep adlib_card to see if that missing module was there. If so, you would do: modprobe adlib_card to insert the module into your kernel and then - following a long lie down and a cup of tea - your sound card might work.

But ... I suspect that module is missing from a standard Mandriva kernel ... Anyone else got any ideas? In fact I know that adlib_card is pre-compiled into some kernels (not mine ... I checked and mine is 2.6.12-18mdk) because I found that information following a Google search.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso