Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Mandriva Free 2007 (dual boot). When I tried booting to Linux, I saw a progress bar saying "Starting system..." and then a black screen. After this I booted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot up problems (probably VGA related)

Just installed Mandriva Free 2007 (dual boot). When I tried booting to Linux, I saw a progress bar saying "Starting system..." and then a black screen. After this I booted to the failsafe mode and switched the graphics card driver to "Radeon (vesa)" (I have a 9700Pro). Now I can actually see a blue screen and the mouse pointer, but the screen goes black-blue-black-blue and nothing happens. I noticed that the numlock light on my keyboard blinks with the screen too, so the computer seems to be in some kind of weird loop.

I've tried different drivers and resolutions, but nothing seems to help. Everything checks as "OK" at boot up. Anyone have any idea, what's going on?

Hi Legge,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

check your Monitor's Manual for supported HorizSync and VertiRefresh rates. wrong refresh rates in xorg.conf file could be the problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    XFdrake shows HorizSync as 30-81 and VertSync as 56-75. I have no idea, how I could change it (I'm a noob). My monitor is Samsung Syncmaster 710T, and I've used in Windows at 60 and 75 Hz.

Now I actually got to KDE as root in failsafe mode with command "startx".

you can edit xorg.conf file in nano editor.
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    as i suggested earlier, check your Monitor's Manual for Supported rates and set correct values in xorg.conf file.

Just Joined!
    Changing the refresh rate to 60 helped. Thanks alot for your help!

Glad to help you.