Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Okay, I have tried SuperGRUB and SystemRestoreCD and reinstalled GRUB. I have tried using various live CDs and installed GRUB. I have tried various configurations, formatted partitions, installed various distributions, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I'm still unable to install GRUB..

Okay, I have tried SuperGRUB and SystemRestoreCD and reinstalled GRUB. I have tried using various live CDs and installed GRUB. I have tried various configurations, formatted partitions, installed various distributions, and nothing will make my GRUB boot into a Linux environment. I get some error about not being able to find stage 2 if I use the PCLinuxOS CD.

I have tried EasyBDCD, GAG, and now I am about to try LiLo because I can't get anything by Vista to boot unless its a live CD.

One thing I have noticed is that every time I user grub-install, I get the Stage 1.5 junk and there is no menu.lst. Perhaps there is something in the following line of code that causes my error:

Code:
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/hda3 /dev/hda3
    My Linux partition is in fact mounted to /mnt/hda3, so I know that this isn't the problem.

Install grub on your mbr/primary boot device /dev/hda So it will be as simple as grub-install /dev/hda

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by netstrider View Post
    Install grub on your mbr/primary boot device /dev/hda So it will be as simple as grub-install /dev/hda
    That didn't work either. I think that Vista won't play nice as long as it is the first partition. QPartEd might have done the trick for me tonight...

Linux Newbie
    Right, so now that the partitions are moved, I am able to boot into Linux!
    Unfortunately, I am not able to boot into Vista anymore.

So, the reason why I had GRUB in /dev/hda3 (or ./hda4 or ./hda5 as appropriate) rather than /dev/hda was because GRUB wouldn't install properly. I tried /dev/hda first. I then moved to installing onto the Linux partition because I was trying to use EasyBCD in Vista to load a specific image that I had created and copied to the Vista partition (as per the tutorial in Linux Pro Magazine)

I am off to try yet one more BCD recovery in Vista and then I will point GRUB to reinstall to /mnt/hda1 instead of just /dev/hda and I will make the bootback.img and I will copy it to /mnt/win_c just as in the tutorial. Perhaps now that greedy Vista isn't in the first partition anymore, it may allow me to boot Linux while it is...

Banned
    Maybe you can learn from my mistake. Here goes:

I have three hard drives in my computer. Linux is on the third hdd. When I installed another distro I placed the grub in hdd1 and the boot came from the MBR. I started having problems with the distro and started jockying things around. Placed all of hdd1 in hdd3 and inadvertantly wiped out the whole of hdd1. Oops. for 3 days all I saw was a black screen with a message error 17. I had no idea what that was. Still don't, but, , , I could not load windows (xp) nor the linux distro. I finally did a complete destructive on xp. At that point I could boot windows but only when I had its rescue disc in the dvd drive. I had a copy of knoppix and gparted on dvd and with their help found out that, , , the grub that was in hdd1 was linked to the bootloader in the Master Boot Record in hda. so basically what happened is I destroyed the link between the two and the mbr grub was broken. I reinstalled an old version of fedora that had the grub in it, placed it back in the mbr and walla, windows was back up and runing. Of course everything I had was gone, but it is all a learning experience. To coninue. The old distro was no where to be found and the live cd and boot discs are no longer readable by my whole system. So I guess What I have for you is that you need the grub in two places, in windows (whether it be in mbr or first part of hda1) and in the first partition of your linux.

If you originally placed grup in mbr and broke it, you should put it back there. Nothing else will work because there would be a gaping hole in mbr. If you did not place it there, don't as you would have to do a fixmbr with yourcommand console. In xp that is in the first install disc, but I never got one from those *.*>*. You might try the fix mbr to get windows back and reinstall the linux for the grub and try it again.

Good luck

Bunny the fiber flinger

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    1st, You have almost 10,500 posts. Do you get paid to do this?

2nd, This is another TINY .iso. It is a personal pet pieve of mine to waste so much space on recordable media. I would like to know if there is a good way to beef up such small ISOs without having to alter the way they boot. For instance, I would like to create something like the disc that came with Linux Pro Magazine Issue 76. The Best of Small Distros allows me to boot several different, wonderful distributions, but I would like to modify it and create a DVD with my favorites.

I don't know much about extracting boot images and I don't know anything about making custom boot menus.
    i know ithis is an oldish forum...

but if anyone cares, there is a program called "Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE)," this program will do what you require

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2