Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just downloaded the Mandriva Live CD but seem to be running into some problems when installing it. To begin, my system is an Aspire notebook with an 80gb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Installing Mandriva...

Hi,
    I just downloaded the Mandriva Live CD but seem to be running into some problems when installing it.
    To begin, my system is an Aspire notebook with an 80gb HDD that has been split into two Fat32 partitions ( I wish they hadn't done this when they sold me the p.c. ).
    I booted the live cd and began running the install wizard. When I had to create the partitions for the Linux os, I chose to resize the second fat32 partition, giving about 2.9 gb for the Linux system. I made a 1.5 gb '/' partition, a 313mb swap, and a 1gb ext3. After this, the wizard begins copying the files. At about 3 1/4 into the copying process the wizard just stops and nothing else happens. So, I'm left with a Fat32 partition, a slightly resized Fat32 partition, and these other partitions. So, when I start the computer, I don't see any boot managers... Just windows...

Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by graphikeye
    I booted the live cd and began running the install wizard. When I had to create the partitions for the Linux os, I chose to resize the second fat32 partition, giving about 2.9 gb for the Linux system. I made a 1.5 gb '/' partition, a 313mb swap, and a 1gb ext3. After this, the wizard begins copying the files. At about 3 1/4 into the copying process the wizard just stops and nothing else happens. So, I'm left with a Fat32 partition, a slightly resized Fat32 partition, and these other partitions. So, when I start the computer, I don't see any boot managers... Just windows...
    1.5G for the / (root) partition is simply not enough. You should at least double that.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

thanks

Cool, thanks!

Just Joined!

Smile aiiight

Well,
    After I made the changes you suggested it worked. Installation was smooth and extremely fast. My only * grudge * is that DrakX didn't bother to tell me what the issue was when I was doing the first install, but oh well. So now I have a clean install of Mandriva. I'm really impressed with how quick and smooth that was. Where's a good place to start learning about Linux ?

Again, thanks!

Where's a good place to start learning about Linux ?
    Well, here is good place. Whenever you have an interrogation, you can be sure there is good chance the answer lies somewhere on the Internet. So Google can help you a lot. Also, you can search the forums here.

A good command line tutorial (it can be handy to know the basics):
    http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

A good URPMI tutorial (Mandriva's packages management utility):
    http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/content/view/261/27/

Plus, if you want to have access to the maximum number of Mandriva's packages, be sure to correctly configure URPMI's repositories, using the instructions provided here:
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Of course you can always ask for help if anything is unclear. The links I just provided are very much optional, as you don't need to know all that to enjoy Linux. It will simply help you understand the fundamentals.

Good luck!
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Thumbs up ok

Sweetness. Very useful.
    Thank you sir!

Just Joined!

wireless ?

After looking at the instructions for getting the wireless card to work I was overwhelmed... I don't think I'll be able to do it. Also, I downloaded Firefox 2.0 for Linux, but couldn't find any clear instructions on their site. All they say is to extract the files in a directory and that's it. Nothing else after that. I like Linux, but I can tell, it's definitely not for the average user...

After looking at the instructions for getting the wireless card to work I was overwhelmed... I don't think I'll be able to do it.
    I know you can do it. Perhaps with a little help. Just tell us your exact card model.

Also, I downloaded Firefox 2.0 for Linux, but couldn't find any clear instructions on their site. All they say is to extract the files in a directory and that's it. Nothing else after that. I like Linux, but I can tell, it's definitely not for the average user...
    Do you mean you want Firefox 2.0 instead of the default Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva ?

Yes, you just download Firefox from getfirefox.com, then extract it to the directory of your choice. You can launch it using the executable "firefox" (in the firefox directory).

Linux is simply very different from Windows. Keep an open mind, as things are done very differently compare to the usual "MS way". There is a learning curve, of course. Just don't see it as one big problem: tackle one little issue at the time.

I know I had to try about 10 Linux distribution before finding the one I really liked. A few others distribution that are considered "beginners friendly": Ubuntu, openSuse, PCLinuxOS, etc.

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

Thumbs up yea...

Yea, you're right. Just need a little patience. Over all I'm still quite impressed. About the wireless, I think I'll post in the Wireless section on the forum.
    I extracted the Firefox tar file to a temporary folder. Is it already pre-compiled ? Do I have run "make" ?
    Also, I forgot to thank you guys for your help! I know you're not getting paid for this and you're taking from you're time to help us 'newbies'! So, thanks!

I extracted the Firefox tar file to a temporary folder. Is it already pre-compiled ? Do I have run "make" ?
    No need to run "make", as the Firefox you downloaded is already compiled.

Some pointers here on how to do it, step by step:
    http://technowizah.com/2006/11/debia...e-firefox.html

If you want interactive help, be sure to visit Linuxforums.org's IRC channel:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...come-chat.html

-Bruce Lee