Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I've installed Mandrake 8.2 for the 10 time at least. But i want to forget about windows and become a linux user. Here is some pb i have. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking How to install things

Hi there.
    I've installed Mandrake 8.2 for the 10 time at least. But i want to forget about windows and become a linux user.
    Here is some pb i have.
    first, i would like to install the graphik driver for nvidia. what should i get ?
    on the nvidia's web site i have 2 choise for the driver.
    1: Linux IA32 and 2: Linux64/EM64T wich one i need to download ?

ok now i have another pb. I need to install amsn but i need tcl8.4, so i get the newest version but i need a gcc so I get the gcc 4.1.2.tar.gz. Where i put it and how do i install thoz apps ?
    i know that its something like tar xvfz -.... but what is the signification of thez letters ?

enought for today :P

I'll ask other question after I get those responce
    Thanks a lot for help
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by NoMercy
    Hi there.
    I've installed Mandrake 8.2 for the 10 time at least. But i want to forget about windows and become a linux user.
    First of all, you really should install a newer version of Linux before you do anything else. Mandrake 8.2 is ancient (over 5 years old). There have been vast improvements in driver support and usability between now and then. The latest Mandrake (now called Mandriva) is version 2007, available here:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download

Here is some pb i have.
    first, i would like to install the graphik driver for nvidia. what should i get ?
    on the nvidia's web site i have 2 choise for the driver.
    1: Linux IA32 and 2: Linux64/EM64T wich one i need to download ?
    Probably IA32. What kind of processor do you have? For a more detailed explanation of processor names, see this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/per...a64-em64t.html

ok now i have another pb. I need to install amsn but i need tcl8.4, so i get the newest version but i need a gcc so I get the gcc 4.1.2.tar.gz. Where i put it and how do i install thoz apps ?
    i know that its something like tar xvfz -.... but what is the signification of thez letters ?
    You will probably find amsn and a number of other IM clients on the install CD for Mandriva 2007. I would recommend you install it from there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    hehe yeah i think its a good idea to update... can i update by installing directly from my directory or i must make a DVD ? or any cmd in the konsol ?

well my processor is a AMD athlon 64bit so i think i must take this one..

thanks for the fast reply

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    hehe yeah i think its a good idea to update... can i update by installing directly from my directory or i must make a DVD ? or any cmd in the konsol ?
    I'm not sure what you mean. I would recommend you *not* try to upgrade from Mandrake 8 to Mandriva 2007. Too many major changes have been made and it would likely cause system instability. I highly recommend you download a new disc for Mandriva 2007 and install a fresh copy from there.

well my processor is a AMD athlon 64bit so i think i must take this one..
    No, you can run either a 64-bit or a regular 32-bit operating system on an AMD64 processor. I would recommend a 32-bit one, and here is why:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html

Just make sure you pick the proper Nvidia driver depending on what you install. If you decide on 64-bit, use the AMD64 driver. If you use 32-bit, download the IA32 driver.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I downloaded mandrivia 2007 but when i boot it, I cant install it because of this error msg.

could not mount compressed loopback, i can clik on ok and another msg appear, fatal error finish initialisation.

how may i fix it ?

Sounds to me like you have a bad disc. Did you verify the checksum of the ISO file before you burned it?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I opened the files with powerIso (winXP) and burn it on a dvd+rw meaby i must use a simple blank dvd ?
    no error during burn's processus

oz
    forum.guy
    I opened the files with powerIso (winXP) and burn it on a dvd+rw meaby i must use a simple blank dvd ?
    no error during burn's processus
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "opened" the files, but don't extract the ISO before burning. You must burn the ISO file as an "image". If properly burned, the dvd will have multiple files after the burn. Also, be sure you don't simply copy the ISO file to the disk.

Here's a link that will give steps to properly burn an ISO file to CD, but it should also work for DVD:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...nstall-cd.html
    oz