Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried probably 10 times now to install Mandriva 2007 on my desktop, and every time it freezes. The first time, I got it all the way to the actual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Mandriva 2007 Install Problem

I've tried probably 10 times now to install Mandriva 2007 on my desktop, and every time it freezes. The first time, I got it all the way to the actual installation part after the package selection. The following 3 times I got it to the package selection, where it would freeze, and now it keeps freezing at the very end of the format screen. I'm soooo frustrated, because I know it works, because I used to have Mandriva on my desktop. Help?

Just Joined!

Sounds like hardware

From your description this sounds like it must be a hardware problem. That is, one of your components is broken. Most commonly the motherboard, but other hardware such as the hard drive will give the same effect.
    Ideally you should test your installation disks on another computer, just to rule that out. And or. Try installing a different operating system on that set up.
    I can understand your frustration, but without you getting further with an install, it is simply impossible to better locate the source of the problem.
    Good luck!

Try, when you click to begin the installion dont! instead the option that should say "install ACPI=off" or something to that effect.

good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondobasildon
    From your description this sounds like it must be a hardware problem. That is, one of your components is broken. Most commonly the motherboard, but other hardware such as the hard drive will give the same effect.
    Ideally you should test your installation disks on another computer, just to rule that out. And or. Try installing a different operating system on that set up.
    I can understand your frustration, but without you getting further with an install, it is simply impossible to better locate the source of the problem.
    Good luck!
    I have tried - in fact, just last night I successfully installed Vista Ultimate on that same partition. =/ I'll try the ACPI thing though and see how that works.

Just Joined!
    Well, as it turns out, disabling ACPI fixed the problem. O_o That's so weird, because I've used ACPI in pretty much every distro I've installed on any of my computers (including this one) without ever having any troubles at all. Very strange. Thanks, though!