Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've just downloaded the following version of mandrake Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for i586 Kernel 2.6.11-6mdk on an i686 / tty1 I've followed a link which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.2 - mysqladmin not found

Hi all,
    I've just downloaded the following version of mandrake
    Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for i586 Kernel 2.6.11-6mdk on an i686 / tty1
    I've followed a link which showed you have to do a perfect setup for linux. Tried to follow the instruction but for some reason i can't get mysql to install. First it was telling couldn't find packages. Then i tried downloading mysql package(rpm) but when installing i kept getting and error which said i need a whole perl package, which i then downloaded and installed but i got an error message.
    I tried a different version of mysql this time it tried to install but it kept saying mysqladmin not found.
    Can anyone please help me to solve this problem out. Thanks.

Hi - You'd be better off using Mandriva's package management system called urpm. If you haven't already set up some repositories (or don't have them pre-installed) you would need to do that. Then you can install MySQL either from the gui or from a terminal.

A terminal will produce more understandable error messages if things go wrong. For example, you would log in as root:

su
    <enter_password>

and type: urpmi mysql ....

That will handle all the dependencies for you (such as Perl packages). Please check this out: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

If you're trying to use mysql in combination with Apache and PHP, you might face a harder task. These are probably best installed from source code, and that can be a little harder to explain and to carry out.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso