Find the answer to your Linux question:
please use small words.. im a linux newbie in fact i dont even know if im that yet as i cant get it started on my computer. when i try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with Bootmanager in mandrake 10

please use small words.. im a linux newbie in fact i dont even know if im that yet as i cant get it started on my computer.

when i try to install bootmanager in mandrake 10 (using the 2.4 kernel) it gives me a syntax error and says there is something wrong with lilo... i even tried to use grub and that wouldnt work. im sorry if this isnt specific enough but any help would be... well... helpful.

Just Joined!
    Ok, Six26, but did you succeeded in getting mandrake installed on your computer? What exactly you are trying to do when you get this error message? Have you installed windoze after linux installation?
    Please, be more specific otherwise we won't be able to assist you.

Just Joined!
    k first off... i was a dork... it wasnt the bootmanager, it was the bootloader. but it doesnt matter... i went through and fiddled with some of the stuff and redid the install and it was fine... well kinda... see i dont have a problem with the bootloader anymore. however i do now have a problem with the OS. when i select linux from the bootmenu when i start the comp, it goes through the startup procedure and after it finishs it goes straight to a plain blue screen. i cant figure out how to get it off the plain blue screen, the pointer doesnt show and none of the keys i hit do anything... its just a plain wall of blue. *sighs*

Linux Guru
    Don't Panic! :P

When you installed 10.0, did you configure X? By that, I mean did you test it until you had a desktop that actually worked?

What type of system, video card, etc... do you have?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    i thought i configured X but perhaps i didnt... i have a Nvidia Geforce FX 64mb card in a Brand new Dell Laptop. should i try reinstalling linux? or is there a way i can go back and configure X without going through the whole startup process again?

Linux Guru
    There are several tutorials on setting up nvidia cards with Linux, even on this site. Use them to help you get going.

Good Luck!
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude