Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I downloaded Mandriva Linux 2007. There were two installation ISO sets. One fo x86 and the other for i586. I downloaded the files for thats compatible with x86. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Mamdirva Linux Installation Problem

Hi All,
    I downloaded Mandriva Linux 2007. There were two installation ISO sets. One fo x86 and the other for i586. I downloaded the files for thats compatible with x86. The actuall name for this ISO given in the site is Mandriva Free 2007 CDs for x86_64. It was given in the README that we can use this on both 64bit and 32bit processor. The linux automatically detects the processor arch and runs the 64bit or 32bit architecture. Mine is a 32 bit processor. When i tried to instal the OS after booting for the disk after BIOS it tells me that "Yours i a 32 bit software. You cant install 64 bit softwaes on your system." The only option i get is ti reboot my system. No other options are active. So when i reboot the same problem occurs. Can anybody help me?

Quote Originally Posted by kmsram420
    Hi All,
    I downloaded Mandriva Linux 2007. There were two installation ISO sets. One fo x86 and the other for i586. I downloaded the files for thats compatible with x86. The actuall name for this ISO given in the site is Mandriva Free 2007 CDs for x86_64.
    If you have a 32-bit processor, you will not be able to install the X86_64 version of Mandriva. Download the regular X86 version instead. The names of processor architectures can be confusing. Here is an article that might clear things up:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/per...a64-em64t.html

i286, i386, i486, i586 and i686 are all collectively known as "X86" processors.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

It was given in the README that we can use this on both 64bit and 32bit processor.
    check README file again. its not possible to install 64Bit version in 32bit processor but you can install 32 bit version in 64bit processor. download 32 bit version of Mandriva.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    There are only isos available for download. One i the x86 and the other is the i586.I am uing pentium 4 32 bit machine. So you mean to say that i must try the i586 compatible version?

So you mean to say that i must try the i586 compatible version?
    Exactly. Your Pentium 4 is backward compatible with i586 instructions.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

There are only isos available for download. One i the x86 and the other is the i586.I am uing pentium 4 32 bit machine. So you mean to say that i must try the i586 compatible version?
    What is the site you're looking at? It doesn't make sense that there would be an i586 *and* an X86 version; they're they same. Perhaps you mean there is an i586 and an X86_64 version.

Either way, as antidrugue pointed out, you will want to download the i586 version. That will work on a Pentium 4.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

If you go to the Mandriva Free 2007 download page looking for the DVD http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
    there is only one available.

According to Mandriva:
    "A dual architecture (i586 and x86_64) DVD. You can use it on both 32- and 64-bit x86 machines, the installer will detect your processor and boot the correct version of the installer. If you want to use a 32 bit installation on a 64 bit machine, you can select it by pressing F3 then F6 at the boot prompt."

Quote Originally Posted by llebcire
    If you go to the Mandriva Free 2007 download page looking for the DVD http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
    three version are available there.
    first Mandriva Free 2007 CDs for i586 for 32 bit machines.
    second Mandriva Free 2007 CDs for x86_64 for 64 bit machines.
    third Mandriva Free 2007 DVD for i586 and x86_64. its for 64 bit machines only. as i mentioned earlier, one can install 32bit version in 64 bit machine. you can not install this version in 32 bit machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by llebcire

According to Mandriva:
    "A dual architecture (i586 and x86_64) DVD. You can use it on both 32- and 64-bit x86 machines, the installer will detect your processor and boot the correct version of the installer. If you want to use a 32 bit installation on a 64 bit machine, you can select it by pressing F3 then F6 at the boot prompt."
    Sorry I didn't notice that the poster was referencing the CD download...i586 version is the one needed for the 32bit CPU.