Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Your helpful advice, would greatly be appericated...... I have a question on installing a usb, starcam clip web camera, product of Micro-Star International. Is there any particular application ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Web Cam Issue

Hi All,

Your helpful advice, would greatly be appericated......

I have a question on installing a usb, starcam clip web camera, product of Micro-Star International.

Is there any particular application or modules that need installing to get this weebcam activated, or should I check the HCL, and select a webcam which is already compatiable, with Mandriva 2007?

Many Thanks in advance.

Jnike

Not sure if this is any help -
    Doesn't work via Genesys Logic USB2.0 Hub, needs to be directly connected or via Alcor Hub. Not sure whether IR LEDs work under Linux for operation in low-light conditions. ALSA appears to create device nodes for built-in microphone, but doesn't appear possible to get samples from it.
    I've never really had any luck with Webcams under linux. The one I had was an OV511 which should be fully supported. It never worked despite distro or driver. It was probably the only piece of hardware I couldn't get working eventually.

Hi bigtomrodney,

Thanks for the update...

I have found the following site which seems to support a Phillips web cam, plus drivers which may support other Manufacturer types, so I shall be investigating....

http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/

Many thanks to your earlier reply

Jnike