Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Having downloaded the .iso and burned it to a disk using windows xp and changed my bios settings to boot from a CD I am still unable to get my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noob and the Mandriva One LiveCD that wont run

Having downloaded the .iso and burned it to a disk using windows xp and changed my bios settings to boot from a CD I am still unable to get my live CD to run.

The CD is obviously being checked when told to boot but it does not and instead resorts to windows on my hdd.

I have tried CDs with two combinations of files:

1:
    mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.iso (696MB the main file)

2:
    mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.iso (696MB the main file)
    mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.md5.asc + mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.sha1.asc (>1KB, random files included with the download.)

I am totally new to linux and have looked around but found nothing explaining what I am doing wrong.

Linux Newbie
    What program did you use to burn the .iso images on to the disks with? Did you just copy the .iso image onto the disk and burn it?

Tim
    Finished building PC using PC Pro's A-List! Will add specs soon =)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Wright
    What program did you use to burn the .iso images on to the disks with? Did you just copy the .iso image onto the disk and burn it?

Tim
    copy and burn in the windows interface - no extra program was used

Just Joined!
    A .iso file is an image file that needs to be extracted to a cd. Usually, I use Nero, or alcholol 120% but I think that you can extract it with say, winRar and then burn those files onto the cd.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by 007quick
    A .iso file is an image file that needs to be extracted to a cd. Usually, I use Nero, or alcholol 120% but I think that you can extract it with say, winRar and then burn those files onto the cd.
    using winRAR I unzipped and burnt the contained folders "boot, isolinux and loopbacks" onto the disk. This CD did not boot either.

Is there more unzipping to be done? - as "boot" contains a folder called "cdrom" and that contains a .gz winRAR archive file.

Linux is confusing - Please help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a good HowTo for properly burning your ISO file to CD:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...nstall-cd.html
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by farueulogy
    Linux is confusing - Please help.
    That was worth a little chuckle. You aren't even using linux yet! You're just burning the CDs.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!
    Thanks to everyone who pitched in - The problem is sorted and I now have a working live disk.

I ended up using a program called "Cute CD DVD Burner" which allows 15 free uses as it looked like I have to pay for nero etc. This program lets you burn as an image and make the CD "finished" and "bootable".

What I don't understand is this information can't be found on www.mandriva.com, www.linuxonline.com or in the wikipedia entry for linux. Is this information top secret or am I just an idiot?

Burning an iso as opposed to running Linux is a completely different animal. Those companies support their product, and thats about it...

But, hey thats what we are here for. What do you think of Mandriva?
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by harner
    Burning an iso as opposed to running Linux is a completely different animal. Those companies support their product, and thats about it...

But, hey thats what we are here for. What do you think of Mandriva?
    A fair point - but if I don't know how to start their system isn't that their place to offer atleast a little advice?

Mandriva is nice. Some of the interface is great - The display all windows roll over option for example. I'm surprised this isn't core for windows and max OS. Reminds me of the showcase add-on for FireFox and the new multitab displays for Internet explorer 7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast