Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am setting up a friend's computer with Mandriva 2007. Unfortunately they have bought an unsupported printer - Lexmark Z815 . Does anyone have any idea of settings that may ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lexmark Z817 in Mandriva 2007

I am setting up a friend's computer with Mandriva 2007. Unfortunately they have bought an unsupported printer - Lexmark Z815. Does anyone have any idea of settings that may work for it.
    I tried Z810 without success.
    I have visited the Lexmark site and read through their stuff on Linux drivers but they suggest using LPRng - which is generally not recommended by the Linux community.
    I am hoping that some combination of "almost" drivers will get them by until a full driver is available.
    Any ideas?

Please note I got the model number wrong. See my further entry below.

For now you can install printer as Generic Postscript(until you get drivers)...

Just Joined!

Postscript did not work

I tried as you said - installing as Generic Postscript (both recommended en and plain). Both gave no test page. I have asked them to bring me the printer and I will get it working here on my PC and then take it back to them with the solution.
    Thanks for the input.
    Is it possible that the test pages will not work but that it would still print ok.

Just Joined!

Oops!

Sorry - I have the printer here now. Still no joy but I am afraid I got the model wrong. It is a

Z815

Have tried the following settings with either nothing or a blank page as a result

Lexmark:
    Z82
    Z53
    Z52
    Z51
    Z43
    Inkjet Printer

Generic:
    Postscript Printer
    zjstream
    PCL3

Rawprinter (no driver)

I did spend some time looking at the Printer Driver Development Kit at Lexmark - but without an itemised "What to do" they may as well write it in Chinese.