Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any way to update a Mandriva Linux system using data downloaded to another computer and then transferred via a USB HDD or CD/DVD? The system I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Update via sneakernet

Is there any way to update a Mandriva Linux system using data downloaded to another computer and then transferred via a USB HDD or CD/DVD? The system I want to update has only dial-up connection to the Internet and direct downloads would therefor take an age and cost a fortune. I have access to computers with a 10Mb/s connection and (occasionally) CD/DVD burning facilities.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mycroft.

To be honest, using dial-up is hopeless in these days (bigger files, faster connections, later dates). If it is a software update, just re-install the newer software versions (which CAN be transferred with your removable mass storage device). As for OS updates, if you expect to be transferring files like that, you will have to download the new OS. I reccomend that you get Broadband, or if the computers are in the same house, setting up a network with a shared internet connection.

Just Joined!
    Hello danvds3

Thanks for your reply.
    You wrote:

>To be honest, using dial-up is hopeless in these days (bigger files, faster connections, later dates).
    Yes, I understand that. That's why I asked about updating via transferable media. I only mentioned the dial-up connection to explain why I wished to update via DVD etc.

>If it is a software update, just re-install the newer software versions (which CAN be transferred with your removable mass storage device).
    That's what I hope and intend to do. If possible I would like some help regarding the subtleties of how to do this, since some of my efforts have failed, and some have left me with old version as well as the new.

>As for OS updates, if you expect to be transferring files like that, you will have to download the new OS.
    This is not required. For instance I have just received and installed the new version (2007.1) of Mandriva Linux via DVD.

>I reccomend that you get Broadband,
    There is no possibility of this present.

>or if the computers are in the same house, setting up a network with a shared internet connection.
    They are in different continents.

Best regards,

Mycroft.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well, you can use internet-based file storage, but then again we come back onto dial-up. Well, I hope you work something out, considering that updates aren't always very important, and I don't think many viruses get through to linux, especially through dial-up. hehe.

Regards,
    Dan

Just Joined!
    Hi Dan,

Thanks again.

You wrote:
    >updates aren't always very important, and I don't think many viruses get through to linux, especially through dial-up. hehe.
    It's not really viruses that concern me; I'm more interested in squashed bugs and extra features that may come with newer versions. Hopefully I'll find some way to solve these problems.

Best regards,

Mycroft.