Find the answer to your Linux question:
Finally! I actually got linux onto my hard-drive! but now a little problem has snagged my attention. I can't actually install anything (both compiled and .rpm). It does actually install, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy I can't install any linux programs...

Finally! I actually got linux onto my hard-drive! but now a little problem has snagged my attention. I can't actually install anything (both compiled and .rpm). It does actually install, but I can't find any of the 5 programs I "successfully" installed. I'll show you proof that I actually did install it correctly:-

OK, so it says it's "installed" but I can't find the program anywhere (tried looking in the /bin folder and every single menu I could find). It just shows the pre-loaded software. These programs don't even show up on "install/uninstall software" under apps/system in the menu. I don't know what to do at all, I can't use wine, xirc chat, and many other programs that I need. I really am stuck. Is there any way I can run this so-called "Already Installed" software!!!??

Have you tried launching them from the command line ?

xchat-2

Programs installed by you are usually on /usr/bin NOT /bin
    There are also programs that don't have a graphical interface by default
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

OK!!!! all it took was 5 seconds! i went into /usr/bin and waited then every program popped up!! including wine! i went into terminal and typed "wine" and it was all intact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really glad I know how to install a prog on linux now. I've set up some launchers (shortcuts) on my desktop and app menu.

Thanks a bunch mate,
    you've sorted out my problem!!!

although I couldn't find xchat, oh well i didn't want it!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close