Find the answer to your Linux question:
help... i'm a linux newbie... i recently installed mandriva linux 2007 alongside my windows NTFS partiton a few wks back.. and i think its a great free OS .. but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy help... linux newbie...

help... i'm a linux newbie... i recently installed mandriva linux 2007 alongside my windows NTFS partiton a few wks back.. and i think its a great free OS .. but i have some problems with it.. i'm completly new to linux so i hope you guys can help me out with this...

First.. :
    i heard of this software called Wine that runs windows apps on linux.. so i installed the .rpm file..
    everything seemed ok.. i download "flashget.exe" for windows.. and after i installed wine.. the flashget.exe icon changed to the wine logo..
    now the problem.. : i double-clicked on flashget.exe but i cant run it.. this is what i got.. :

i cant seem to find where i installed my wine tool to.. i looked everywhere..

Second.. :
    i want to install my ati graphics driver for linux so i downloaded the driver
    and i got a .run file.. i opened it but get something like this :

what do i do with it?

Third.. :
    i wanna download Mplayer for linux so i can play online videos at
    "stage6.divx.com" but i get some kinda of a bunch of codes..(i think.. coz i dont know programming..and i'm a script kiddie).. they say i'm suppose to compile them with something.. what do i compile it with?
    btw, i use Mandriva Free Power-Trail 2007.. not Mandriva One 2007..

Fourth.. :
    How do i log in as root? i keep getting "not allowed to log in as root".. on my log on screen..

Fifth.. :
    The reason with i installed mandriva is because the next time i plan to reformat my windows partition, i can log into mandriva and copy all my important files there and reformat my windows.. then after installing my windows, i can copy and paste the files form mandriva to windows..
    Mandriva mounts my windows NTFS partiton automatically so i that saves me alot of trouble.. i can access my windows files, copy and paste files form windows to mandriva from mandriva.. can read the files, but i cannot copy my files from mandriva and paste them on my windows partition.. they say i dont have write access.. what do i do?

i hope someone can help me with this problem...thanks alot in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by xaero
    First.. :
    i heard of this software called Wine that runs windows apps on linux.. so i installed the .rpm file..
    everything seemed ok.. i download "flashget.exe" for windows.. and after i installed wine.. the flashget.exe icon changed to the wine logo..
    now the problem.. : i double-clicked on flashget.exe but i cant run it.. this is what i got.. :

i cant seem to find where i installed my wine tool to.. i looked everywhere..
    Wine isn't a program you launch by itself. You have to pass it a program you want to launch, such as:

Code:
    wine flashget.exe
    The wine command was likely installed in your /usr/bin directory.

Third.. :
    i wanna download Mplayer for linux so i can play online videos at
    "stage6.divx.com" but i get some kinda of a bunch of codes..(i think.. coz i dont know programming..and i'm a script kiddie).. they say i'm suppose to compile them with something.. what do i compile it with?
    btw, i use Mandriva Free Power-Trail 2007.. not Mandriva One 2007..
    You shouldn't have to compile anything. You just need to download the proper codecs (not codes). Usually they're available on the site for the player you're using, such as Mplayer or Xine.

Fourth.. :
    How do i log in as root? i keep getting "not allowed to log in as root".. on my log on screen..
    In short you don't. Logging in graphically as root user is a very, very dangerous and highly unnecessary thing. If you need to do something as root user, do so from the terminal using su:

Code:
    su
    Password: <enter root password and enter>
    Do your command, then exit out of the terminal to restore your regular user privileges. What did you want to do in the GUI as root? There is probably another way to go about it.

Fifth.. :
    The reason with i installed mandriva is because the next time i plan to reformat my windows partition, i can log into mandriva and copy all my important files there and reformat my windows.. then after installing my windows, i can copy and paste the files form mandriva to windows..
    Mandriva mounts my windows NTFS partiton automatically so i that saves me alot of trouble.. i can access my windows files, copy and paste files form windows to mandriva from mandriva.. can read the files, but i cannot copy my files from mandriva and paste them on my windows partition.. they say i dont have write access.. what do i do?
    Write support from Linux to NTFS partitions is still experimental, but some people have had luck by setting up NTFS-3G. Personally, I would just back up all my important Windows data onto a removable medium (like a CD, DVD or flash drive) and not worry about it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Thank You So Much TechieMoe!! That cleared some doubts i had with mandriva.. but what do i do with my display driver? i get a .run file... and where do my applications that i download get installed to?

Just Joined!

Some advice

Firstly, welcome to Mandriva!

I would caution you to go easy on trying to operate microsoft software in Linux while you are still new to Linux. Mostly you do not need to. You can install the Linux MPlayer and the win32-codecs from Mandriva and play all your files fully in Linux more efficiently.

I would strongly recommend working through some of the stuff from the following site

http://www.mandrivafaq.org/

It runs through how to get the most out of Linux.

You will probably find advice on your graphics drivers too.
    I use nVidia. The correct driver is available now for Mandriva 2007 - when I change the download sites using easyurpmi (see that site above).
    But I usually have to first change to a kernel for which there is a current source (that is - install kernel and kernel-source with the same numbers). Reboot and select that new kernel from the login. And then install the driver from the Control Centre and follow the instructions as given. Installing the old way with the .run file is not fun and rather tricky. I used to have to do it with Mandriva 2006 - and I am so glad it is no longer necessary.

Good Luck! and have fun.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Write support from Linux to NTFS partitions is still experimental, but some people have had luck by setting up NTFS-3G.
    NTFS-3G is stable for a few months. It's included in many distributions and apparently it's used already by quite many people without problems.