Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This was my first time with linux and after using the Live CD for Madriva I decided to install it and give it a whirl. However, now I'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Removing installed Mandriva One 2007

This was my first time with linux and after using the Live CD for Madriva I decided to install it and give it a whirl.

However, now I'd like to remove it and move on to ubuntu.

The problem is I don't know which partition it is on on my harddisk. I also run windows xp and desperately don't want to loose anything from that as it has software galore and I'd have extreme trouble reinstalling that.

How do I find out which partition is mandriva?

How do I remove the LILO boot system?

Thanks!

Side question - As an interesting side point, on loading LILO I have four windows partitions labeled "windows, windows 1, windows 2, windows 3". I was just wondering if this is normal. Only "windows 1" loads windows xp. The rest load random windows scans - More information on those after another reboot for me to check them out.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can install Ubuntu right over the Mandriva partitions. You'll get a chance during your installation to do just that. Ubuntu uses GRUB, and it should install over LILO automatically if you installed it to the MBR.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    You can install Ubuntu right over the Mandriva partitions. You'll get a chance during your installation to do just that. Ubuntu uses GRUB, and it should install over LILO automatically if you installed it to the MBR.
    Sounds like a good solution but I'm a noob and have questions:

What is MBR?

Will the ubuntu installation make it clear which is mandriva?

When you says "Mandriva partitions" do you mean plural as I appear to have multiple partitions and I don't know what they are - see picture at bottom.

I figure C: is windows, but the rest is confusing. Is only one mandriva? Are the others something to do with my side question "windows, windows2, windows3"

New information on side question and partitions shown by LILO:
    "windows" partition runs "hardware diagnostics" a collection of test choices and nothing else with a reboot on close - has dell branding.
    "windows 2" partition shows Dos-like screen of "DRMK version 8.00" followed by "Can't load kernal file" - nothing else and required force turn off.
    "windows 3" partition shows another Dos-like screen of "Error 0x07" then "boot: windows 3" and nothing else which required another forced turn off.

If you can't see the picture I have:
    94MB FAT Healthy (EISA)
    38.07GB NTFS Healthy (System) - Windows
    Three unknown partitions grouped in an "extended partition": 7.2GB, 1.44GB and 4.44GB
    4.64GB GB FAT32 Healthy unknown partition

If you want to make sure, download the GParted live cd

Launch GParted and delete the partitions with a file system you don't know, here is a small list:

ext3
    swap
    reiserfs
    xfs
    jfs
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    If you want to make sure, download the GParted live cd

Launch GParted and delete the partitions with a file system you don't know, here is a small list:

ext3
    swap
    reiserfs
    xfs
    jfs
    Admittedly the ones you list I don't know - NTFS is obviously windows. I wonder what the "FAT 32" partition is at the end of the list though.

Any ideas?

oz
    forum.guy
    MBR is the master boot record. GRUB and LILO usually ask if that's where you want to install them.

The image above is a bit small when I look at it, but the three partitions within the green border appear to be your current Linux installation.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    BTW - the livecd suggested by Juan Pablo above is a great tool for handling partitions. It's pretty much a clone of Partition Magic. It's a small download, a quick burn to CD, and there are good instructions for using it on the website:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    oz

Just Joined!
    MBR is the master boot record. GRUB and LILO usually ask if that's where you want to install them.

The image above is a bit small when I look at it, but the three partitions within the green border appear to be your current Linux installation.
    Thanks

I threw the text of each partition underneath the picture. Do you have any idea what the last partition a "FAT 32" 4.64GB one might be? (I'm not talking about the "My book" partition which is my USB hard drive just to clarify)

oz
    forum.guy
    That last partition looks like some kind of storage space you might have setup.

My best guess on the Linux partitions:

first one is /
    second is swap
    third is /home

...but I'm only guessing

Edit: if you should decide to do any shrinking of your Windows partitions, you should defrag them first.
    Last edited by oz; 04-15-2007 at 12:42 AM.
    oz

Just Joined!
    That last partition looks like some kind of storage space you might have setup.

My best guess on the Linux partitions:

first one is /
    second is swap
    third is /home

...but I'm only guessing

Edit: if you should decide to do any shrinking or your Windows partitions, you should defrag them first.
    Hopefully I am going to leave my windows partition the same size and install ubuntu over the "undefined space" as it is now after I used Gparted just then. The three grouped partitions did appear to be linux as two were ext3 and one was "linux-swap".

That last partition is somewhat random. I don't remember setting up any storage space at all ever. 60% of the space is used and I think dell may have had a part to play in it. It might be a bit risky just removing it.

Thanks to everyone for their help and I will inform you here of how sucessful or not I am in a little bit replacing the MBR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast