Find the answer to your Linux question:
It was heard that Linux is much safer than Windows, because fewer hackers attempt to attack Linux, maybe it is truth, and maybe it is just a rumor, I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question free firewall and antivirus software the best for Mandriva ?

It was heard that Linux is much safer than Windows, because fewer hackers attempt to attack Linux, maybe it is truth, and maybe it is just a rumor, I don't want to take the risk, so is there any free firewall and antivirus software the best for Mandriva ?

There is no antivirus software comes along with the new version Mandriva 2007 Spring Free DVD.

its true that Linux is very safe and there is no need to install any antivirus package. on safer side, you can install rkhunter to keep a check.
    check this 'Short Security Gudie'.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Yes, devils_casper is correct. Considering that Mandriva 2007/One is fitted with a network manager that allows you to firewall particular connections.

Try this:
    Applications > System > Configure Your Computer > Networking (or something similar).

There should be 2 options, firewall your network, or your pc which will protect your network.

Linux is virus resistant because there is hardly any automatic activity, most users have to chmod a file, and run it in the terminal themselves, so it is less likely you will get a virus on Mandriva.

Just for advice, you can improve your security by frequently updating your software packages (Which can be found in the Install/Add/Remove Software Configuration Panel).

Best Regards,
    Dan

Hi - I wrote this guide to security some time ago. It's still fairly up-to-date, but it doesn't cover everything. It might help you get started, so that's why I'm signposting it here.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

hi fingal !

i posted link of your guide only. its really helpful.

Casper
    Last edited by devils casper; 04-21-2007 at 08:02 PM.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    hi fingal !

i posted link of your guide only. its really helpful.

Casper
    Oooops, sorry. I didn't read that bit.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso