Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I for some reason cant install mandriva on my computer, when i run the cdrom it lods up and lets me choose language and all that stuff, then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help, cant install new mandriva 2007

Hey guys

I for some reason cant install mandriva on my computer, when i run the cdrom it lods up and lets me choose language and all that stuff, then it gets to the desktop where i must click live install, and then it just hangs, nothing happens ? i have tryd diff linux version, and diff BIOS settings, but its just the same, i cant get it to install when i click the icon..

Wierd thing is though, i have no problems installing it on my wifes computer ?!?

Anyone have any sugestions how to solve this ?? as i would really like to run it on my own comp aswell :/

ty

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    It seems like you probably have some sort of hardware problem. Have you tried using the Mandriva Free dvd or cd set (the one thats not live cd based)?

Just Joined!
    do i didnt try that :/ i have ben looking for it on mandriva web page but didnt find it, only found the ones with live install, any chance u can point me in direction of an url where i might find it ?!?

thanks for ur reply btw

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    did you try 'text install'? it could be Graphics Card problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Yea i did try the text install, and everything seems fine, it takes me to the point where i have to choose language keyboard layout and so on, then it boots a desktop, and everything works, like internet, system controls all the applications, only thing that wont work is the darn live install icon :/

i really dont know how to solve this

It is probably a RAM or Graphics error. The setup requires 92mb of Ram itself. The OS has a minimum need of 128mb RAM to run OK but I reccomend 512mb or more.

Can I request what computer setup you have?
    (HDD, CD Speed, RAM, Graphics, HDD Speed, Processor Model+ Speed).

Just Joined!
    I have Asrock DUAL VSTA motherboard witha intel pentium dual core p4 CPU 3ghz. and 2 gigz of RAM, SATA Harddrive ( not running raid0 ) and ATI Radeon x800 pro display card. and standard logitech keyboard and mouse, usb ofc.
    not sure what speed the DVD RW drive is, but its pretty new, burns dvd +/- rw in 16x speed
    have ben thinking if the sata harddrive could be the problem ?? as i installs and runs perfectly on my wifes comp, and she has not sata drive ?!?

Now I don't use dual-core (never actually had one). But this could be the problem. You see i'm not sure that mandriva supports dual-processors. It won't be your SATA hard drive because just running the installer shouldn't stall, the Live Install program runs from the disc.

I can't think of the reason then. try running the live disc, but when it's loading up, press esc (To see verbose mode). Are there any fails there? - It sort of looks like this:

Command blah blah- Registered1.5.7 blah...........[ OK ]
    Blah something random DAEMON?......................[ OK ]
    Finding blah blah.... Module not found................[ Failed ]

You get any errors? Perhaps we might be able to find the problem that way.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    It seems like you probably have some sort of hardware problem. Have you tried using the Mandriva Free dvd or cd set (the one thats not live cd based)?
    Its all over the website!

If you want to try this out, be my guest!...

Mandriva 2007 - Spring Version (32-bit edition)

The spring one looks cool, but they've gone with the flow of most linux distros and scrapped gnome (Top bar and bottom) and implemented that disgusting digital clock.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton