Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Besides, why have bug-filled Mandriva when you can have Ubuntu! (I used Mandriva one, after which having many problems switched to fedora and Ubuntu). Ubuntu has no price tag, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Besides, why have bug-filled Mandriva when you can have Ubuntu! (I used Mandriva one, after which having many problems switched to fedora and Ubuntu).

Ubuntu has no price tag, and very little bugs (Every OS out there has bugs, and always will).
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by danvds3 View Post
    Besides, why have bug-filled Mandriva when you can have Ubuntu! (I used Mandriva one, after which having many problems switched to fedora and Ubuntu).

Ubuntu has no price tag, and very little bugs (Every OS out there has bugs, and always will).
    I wouldn't describe Mandriva as 'bug-filled'. I'm still using 2006, and don't seem to remember seeing any bugs lately. It's true that 'Mandy' often includes more 'bleeding edge' stuff, but people are impatient and like to hop from one version to the next ... This can lead to things never being quite right.

I've found it's better to stay with a stable release and download bug fixes as and when they're released. If you like Fedora / Ubuntu great (though all this Ubuntu fever is a bit tedious in my view). I'm not knocking it, but don't diss my distro!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danvds3 View Post

Have you used Mandriva recently? 2007.1 is quite a polished distro (and a lot more feature rich than Ubuntu in my opinion). Mandriva also make a completely free product (they have done this right from the start), just like Ubuntu.

If you like Fedora / Ubuntu great (though all this Ubuntu fever is a bit tedious in my view). I'm not knocking it, but don't diss my distro!
    I have noticed that a lot of Ubuntu users are quite fanatic about their distro and don't look objectively at others. The hype surrounding Ubuntu is becoming irritating to say the least (even though I think its a good distro).

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fukinmale View Post
    but now i want to install files on my computer n i downloaded tar.gz file from a site , i read the tutorial and i did exactly wat they said.............

# tar xvzf package.tar.gz (or tar xvjf package.tar.bz2)
    # cd package
    # ./configure
    # make
    # make install

i followed this i got some results but , didnt got the software

You shouldn't have to install from source btw. Mandriva has one of the largest binary repos (13,000+ packages) probably the same size as Debian and Ubuntu (they are not counting unique packages only) so you might find the package that you want through rpmdrake.

If it's not available the ./configure;make;make install is not quite the way to go. It works yes, but what if you want to remove it later, or upgrade it? To do that you want the package manager to track it. To do that you should not just build the package, you should build it as an rpm, and then install the rpm. The hard part about that is that you have to write a specs file. But the thing is that you probably don't have to do this because whatever you want is probably in the Mandriva repos.

Why pay?

By joining the Mandriva club you are supporting not just Mandriva but Linux and open source software in general,the developer of k3b is on Mandriva's payroll for example,they pay him to develop k3b.
    Mandriva have introduced some fantastic software and configuration tools to Linux and where would PCLinux be without Mandriva?(not that it's the only Mandriva based distro)
    Mandriva produce a totally up to date and professional quality distro with the best artwork and themes around,though Sabayon deserves a mention here too.
    Unfortunately most developers insist on eating and paying their bills so directly supporting your favorite distro is the way to go.
    Mandriva's club gives access to commercial apps,FTP downloads,a really great forum where there's a very good chance of a Mandriva staff member answering your question,discounts of around 20 to 25% off purchases,and exclusive club downloads and early releases.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    The hype surrounding Ubuntu is becoming irritating to say the least (even though I think its a good distro).
    Isn't that the truth? It's been all hype pretty much from day one, too. I've tried Ubuntu 5 or 6 different times, played with it a few days, then wondered what all the fuss is about.

Still, I'm glad it's out there as an option for those that do like it.
    oz

Just Joined!

Smile

i thank u all for giving time to read my problem and comment on it

but i just want to suggest that we should work in a constructive way by concentrating on the problems what people are facing during when they migrate from windows or other respective os's , rather than counting on the problems of rival distros............

we might be using different distros of linux n people are free to make there choices of the distro......

all this is only possible coz of the flexibility of the linux kernel and thousands of enthusiasts who are making it possible for people around the world to check it for free

in the end i just wanna say that it doensnt matters watever distro ur using or with which distro ur comfortable with...

but the point is that all distros use the same kernel n that is the heart of every distro .......... so keep differences aside and aim for a great goal of contribution of linux .......
    this is wat linux is all about.

have a nice time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2