Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello everyone here yesterday i got the cd of mandriva 2007 and i installed it on my pc with windows xp its working fine and feels great to see the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installed mandriva 2007... but what do i do now

hello everyone here

yesterday i got the cd of mandriva 2007 and i installed it on my pc with windows xp
    its working fine and feels great to see the graphical beauty of this OS

but now i want to install files on my computer n i downloaded tar.gz file from a site , i read the tutorial and i did exactly wat they said.............

# tar xvzf package.tar.gz (or tar xvjf package.tar.bz2)
    # cd package
    # ./configure
    # make
    # make install

i followed this i got some results but , didnt got the software

Last edited by oz; 05-02-2007 at 03:55 AM. Reason: replaced gigantic image with thumbnail

install gcc, gcc-c++ Software management in 'Configure your computer'.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    i have already told that i installed linux yesterday for the first time

and you think i have any idea what is configuration of linux system

any ways thanks for ur help buddy, but can u please tell me one more thing that where i will get all that manuals that contain data and teaching bout all this configuration n everything esle

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    This is a link to "mandriva club". It covers all newbie questions and has the answers and forums, read through and see what you think.

But i think to actually sign up and register for mandriva club you have to pay so if you want to ask a specific question you should probably come to these forums.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

Main Menu -- Configuration -- Configure Your Computer -- Software Management -- Look for Installable Softwares and install software packages.

type 'gcc' in search box and install gcc and gcc-c++ packages.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    ok will try that and let you know wat happened next
    n hey little casper
    thanks again

Just Joined!
    tommy thanks for the link n i have seen that ......
    it was good for a newbie to be there

but tell me one thing tommy .if linux is the main product of the openware movement then why they are acting like microsoft by making everthing paid.....

ya they can do it for the coporate use and if they want to sell there firmware made software to the end user. In that case its fine

but just for the training also they will charge u , i migrated to linux not because i was fed up with my xp(its still with me n i love it) but i liked the free spirit of linux more than anything

n everyone is here to contribute something to the society in his/her unique way......................
    like if ur a programmer u are free to make any program for linux n distribute it.
    if ur a blogger write bout it.
    if ur just a user then u can just make copies n distribute it.
    there is something for everyone in linux.

n the most important is that linux takes you through a learning process , where u take help n give help . It make u aware of the community which is present in the virtual world n everyone here is out there to help u in every possible way they can..............

THIS IS THE FREE SPIRIT OF FREE LINUX
    lets say i m freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Hi - Part of the freedom of Linux is that 'resellers' are free to charge for services if they want to. However you can still get the 'Community' version of Mandriva for nothing. Without that, there would be no operating system to use in the first place.

All the Mandriva Club does is offer a few extra bits of software and extra services ... I run Mandriva 2006 and don't use any of that stuff, but feel free.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Personally i think mandriva's prices are way to high for the products and services they offer.

Also in recent days ive been trying to download mandriva spring and i was thinking to my self "if mandriva is earning all this money from their products why is it almost impossible to download the product (at least at a reasonable speed, not 28kb/s) and why don't they let us download from their website instead of relying on there HTTP mirrors?"

so anyway i personally think mandriva has lost hold of the whole "freedom" concept.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Also in recent days ive been trying to download mandriva spring and i was thinking to my self "if mandriva is earning all this money from their products why is it almost impossible to download the product (at least at a reasonable speed, not 28kb/s) and why don't they let us download from their website instead of relying on there HTTP mirrors?"
    Very few distribution maintainers will let you download directly from their ftp servers. Most either let you use torrent files or use mirrors because of bandwith and availability issues (if everyone downloads from their ftp servers, then the servers will eventually become overloaded and go offline). I personally have never had any significant problems downloading from reliable mirrors near me. By the way, if you actually pay for their products and services, you can download directly from their ftp mirrors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast