Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed beryl on mandriva spring, and everything was working great until i restarted and realized that beryl was not running so in terminal i type beryl-manager and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Mandriva and beryl issue

I just installed beryl on mandriva spring, and everything was working great until i restarted and realized that beryl was not running so in terminal i type beryl-manager and it gives me this:

* Beryl system compatiblity check *

Detected xserver : AIGLX

Checking Display :0.0 ...

Checking for XComposite extension : failed

No composite extension
    beryl: No composite extension
    I've tried googling it and get many results but none of them help me.

How can i fix this?

P.S. how can it be so hard to get beryl working on mandriva, a distro that especially prides itself on its 3D desktop abilities?
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

beryl

you think getting beryl to work is hard, try getting through a authentication server in fedora core 6 (wish they could atleast have basic functionality working, darn thing worked in fc5)

have you got xgl installed or better known as xorg-xgl.rpm's
    (thats not the correct name but close enough)

beryl

umm what are you using KDE or GNOME?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi....php?p=2736889

go here a person is havin the exact same problem and has answers too

Well thanks for the help and advise but i got sick of trying to fix it so i did this as a last resort:

When i first installed mandriva spring i selected to use/install metisse, and it did and it worked - but i didn't like it much so i switched to compiz, and it worked but i didn't like it much either so i tried to switch to beryl and ran into the above problem.

Anyways i completely did a clean install of mandriva spring and at the very start i selected beryl, and it worked a treat and now beryl is running perfect.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem was but i assume it was some sort of issue arousing because i had metisse, compiz and beryl installed - maybe they some how canceled each other out... But it works now so i don't care much, although i do have to re-download all my stuff i lost in the clean install i had to do..

Thanks
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire