Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'll just preface this by saying I'm a total newbie, so any replies should be simple language, please! I've just installed Mandrake Power Pack 10 - (dual-boot, on a separate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Checking hardware when booting up

I'll just preface this by saying I'm a total newbie, so any replies should be simple language, please!
    I've just installed Mandrake Power Pack 10 - (dual-boot, on a separate hard-drive) and I managed to get everything working, modem, etc, etc (even the soundcard, after some fiddling around). Everthing - apparently - was working fine, until I re-booted.
    Now I find that I can't get past "checking for new hardware" and everthing comes to a halt.
    I had a trial run using RH Fedora Core 1 on my computer to see if I liked using Linux and had no problems at all with the booting up process, so I dont think it's a hardware-related problem.
    Any ideas how to get around this? I know that in Interactive mode you can skip certains bits in the bootup, but if I dont load HardDrake, which comes just before Check for new hardware, doesnt that mean some of the hardware wont work??
    Help - I've got this lovely new system and I can't access it!

Linux Guru
    I've heard there's problems with usb modems or external usb hard drives when booting. Do you have one of those?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude