Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Have managed to install Mandriva Linux Free 2007 Spring and i'm really happy with it. Trouble is when i try to install the Netgear router i put the disc into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2007, Netgear router

Have managed to install Mandriva Linux Free 2007 Spring and i'm really happy with it. Trouble is when i try to install the Netgear router i put the disc into the drive and then nothing! How do i get the installation disc to run? I know this is a very basic question but i just hope that someone will have the patience and kindness to help me out. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum. If you haven't yet taken the time to read some of our introductory threads about Linux, you can find them here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

Linux is a completely different operating system than Microsoft Windows or Apple OS X. The disc you received with your router will likely have software on it for either (or both) of these operating systems, however that software will not run in Linux.

The good news is that you may not need any special drivers or software to get your router working. What kind of router is it, specifically? Can you post the model number and whether it's wired or wireless? Are you going to be hooking it up to the internet? If so, what kind (ADSL, cable, etc)?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hiya techieMoe,
    The router in question is a NetGear "WGR614 v6" 54Mbps Wireless Router. I would love to get online via the router and leave Windows altogether. I have a Tiscali 2GB Broadband package. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldn00b View Post
    Hiya techieMoe,
    The router in question is a NetGear "WGR614 v6" 54Mbps Wireless Router. I would love to get online via the router and leave Windows altogether. I have a Tiscali 2GB Broadband package. Thanks for the help.
    Ok. Are you specifically looking to connect your computer wirelessly or is your router close enough to simply plug in with an ethernet cable?

If you're wanting to connect to your router wirelessly we'll need to know what kind of wireless card your PC has. If it's a mass-market PC (like a Dell, HP, or Gateway) it will probably tell you what you have somewhere on the machine itself. Those manufacturers like to paste stickers on their boxes with the specifications on them.

If not, you can boot up Linux (or MS Windows if you still have it installed). In Linux, I think the command to show all your peripheral devices is this:

Code:
    lspci -v
    In MS Windows, you'll want to right click on My Computer, go to "Properties", then the "Hardware" tab, then "Device Manager". Expand the tree under "Network Adapters" by clicking the + symbol and you should see your computer's wireless card.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hi techieMoe,
    I just want to get online really. But, yes my computer is close enough to just simply plug in with an ethernet cable.

Really appreciate any and all help.

Hi techieMoe,
    I just want to get online really. But, yes my computer is close enough to just simply plug in with an ethernet cable.

Really appreciate any and all help.
    In all honestly, things will probably go a lot quicker if you're able to just plug the computer straight into your router. Mandriva should be able to detect the internet connection on its own once you do that.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Have now changed the router to a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless ADSL + Moden "DG834G". Have connected the router up and booted up the computer. There are four lights showing on the router and in the bottom right-hand corner when i hover the mouse pointer over an icon i am informd that:

Network is up on interface eth0
    IP address: 192.168.0.2
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Yet when i click on Firefox and try to surf the Internet i am informed that: Server cannot be found?

Could someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong and get me online. Big thanks

Have now changed the router to a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless ADSL + Moden "DG834G". Have connected the router up and booted up the computer. There are four lights showing on the router and in the bottom right-hand corner when i hover the mouse pointer over an icon i am informd that:

Network is up on interface eth0
    IP address: 192.168.0.2
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Yet when i click on Firefox and try to surf the Internet i am informed that: Server cannot be found?

Could someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong and get me online. Big thanks
    Hmm.. You may need to turn on DHCP on the router. Most routers that I'm aware of do this by default, but yours may be set to use a static IP address instead. Usually you can configure your router settings from a web browser by typing in 192.168.0.1 or something similar. The manual for your Netgear router may have a different value.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    When i boot up the computer and then click on Firefox and type in the IP address: 192.168.0.1 the only thing that happens is the same message: Server cannot be found?

Is there another way via the Konsole or Run Command that i might be able to check this?

Would it be possible to configure the router/internet connection from the Control Centre?

Thanks for all the help and patience

When i boot up the computer and then click on Firefox and type in the IP address: 192.168.0.1 the only thing that happens is the same message: Server cannot be found?
    It's a Netgear DG834G, correct? According to the manual, that's the correct IP to bring up the router configuration page. I'm not sure why it won't show up.

Is there another way via the Konsole or Run Command that i might be able to check this?
    Well, you can open up a terminal and try to ping your router with:

Code:
    ping 192.168.0.1
    Would it be possible to configure the router/internet connection from the Control Centre?

Thanks for all the help and patience
    I suppose that's possible as well. I honestly haven't played with Mandriva in a while so I can't give you specific instructions.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast