Find the answer to your Linux question:
I cannot get this laptop, running Mandriva 2007.1, to be seen by my other Windows machines....running XP. The Mandriva laptop can see and share the other windows machines with no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba, not visible to other windows machines

I cannot get this laptop, running Mandriva 2007.1, to be seen by my other Windows machines....running XP.

The Mandriva laptop can see and share the other windows machines with no problems.

What is going wrong?

I think I set up the shares properly.

Keith

Create a user on the Linux box that corresponds to the logged on user on the Windows box. So if 'joe' is logged on to the Windows box and trying to access the Fedora box it won't happen. 'joe' doesn't have access rights. To fix that, create a user named 'joe' on the linux box. As root in a termnial type 'adduser joe'. Then while in the same terminal type smbpasswd -a joe. When prompted for a password for 'joe' just press enter. Now from the terminal restart samba by typing '/sbin/service smb restart'. Go to the Windows box as 'joe' and access shared folders on the Linux box.

Any similarity to anyone named 'joe' is purely co-incedental.
    Glenn