Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just purchased a serial external modem, but Mandriva Spring will not recognize it. It's an Agrere OCM Serial on Com1, IRQ4. I dual boot with W2k, and connect no problem. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation External Modem Installation Help Please

Just purchased a serial external modem, but Mandriva Spring will not recognize it.

It's an Agrere OCM Serial on Com1, IRQ4.
    I dual boot with W2k, and connect no problem.
    Don't mind getting into command mode.

Been trying everything I can think of, but since I'm a nube, probably don't know where to look.

I use KDE, and have tried auto detect and manual.

No, can't get DSL or cable - wish I could.

Please help?

I'll attempt to answer this since nobody else has. I looked here:
    XMODEM.org

I don't see your modem listed, so it may not be supported in Linux.

You may have to pick one from the ones that do support Linux, and try to return that Agrere/Lucent modem.

Mike
    Last edited by Farmer Mike; 05-28-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: fat finger spelling

Just Joined!

Thank you, for caring

That's what thought first, but external modems have the drivers on board. So why wasn't it being seen?

After much research I read somewhere that someone else had a similar problem and physically removed an internal PCI winmodem and voila - everything worked.

So I removed my internal modem (which did work with a driverwrap, but only at 28.8 for the free version and $20 for the 56.6k version which I refused to pay) and yes, now my external modem works just fine.

On to the next problem...the sound doesn't work. Since I'm dual booting with W2k and it functions in that environment, well, it might take a while, but I'll get it.