Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using mandriva spring and i want/need to completely reinstall it. I'm going to wipe/format the whole hard drive and start over. What i want to know is how can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Re-install, keep old settings

I'm using mandriva spring and i want/need to completely reinstall it. I'm going to wipe/format the whole hard drive and start over.

What i want to know is how can i save all my current settings ie; my icons, background, colour scheme, system sounds, saved files, ect.......

I do have another seperate hard drive so i believe it is possible to do this. So can someone give me instructions on how to save all these settings in one file on my other hard drive before i reinstall?

Thanks
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

The easiest way to do this, is to have your /home on a separate partition and do not format it when you re-install.

I think if you copy your entire home dir, you might be able to save some of it. But i'm not sure where the Icons and BG's, systems sounds are kept, you might need to install those again.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Backing up /home to a CD or DVD has always worked for me. You'll have to re-install most of your apps but you'll save the settings on most of them: Firefox et al. Be sure to include hidden files and folders if you do that, though.

I've been meaning to put /home on a separate partition for some time now. Haven't gotten around to it quite yet.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yep - having /home on a separate partition is a great idea. I would also keep a copy of /etc . Just my 10 pence worth.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso