Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm trying to set up easy urpmi, and I have a question (and perhaps a 'complaint', lol). I'm trying to follow the instructions on the following link: Easy Urpmi The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I know which version of Mandriva I'm using!!?

I'm trying to set up easy urpmi, and I have a question (and perhaps a 'complaint', lol). I'm trying to follow the instructions on the following link:

Easy Urpmi

The very first question is "Mandriva version?". There are several possibilities...

Okay, the 'uname' command with -r or -a or whatever... That doesn't answer my question. The choices are: Spring 2007, 8.0, 8.1 etc. !!

How in the *$!:/;,@(! do I find out which corresponds to my version?

Many thanks.

Good question! Try this:

cat /etc/issue

I bet that works.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks, that's a little better than uname... And I didn't know that one !

That certainly does give me more information and allows me to narrow it down. At least I think it does:

Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for i586
    Kernel 2.6.17-5mdv on an i686 / \l

So is it... :

2007 Spring ?
    2007 ?
    10.0 (Official) ?
    10.1 (Official) ?

I like to be very precise when making such choices... One could argue that it doesn't really matter, but I bet it does in many cases. If not, why would they ask?

We're getting warmer...

...and they call it "Easy" Urpmi !!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    On most distros, you can simply do
    Code:
    $cat /etc/{DISTRO}-release
    so for Mandriva, it would be
    Code:
    $cat /etc/mandriva-release

I think if it says 2007 it's your standard 2007. As far as I know 2007.1 is the Spring release. It's definitely not the other two. And yes it matters, because the Spring version is bound to have a lot of bug / security fixes.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    "EASY" urmpi, eh!!??

[linux@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/mandriva-release
    Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (Official) for i586
    [linux@localhost ~]$

Thanks for the efforts though...

It's times like this that I'm tempted to change my pseudo, in this case to rm_-rf_mandriva. I wouldn't go as far as changing it to mkdir_windows though...

Quote Originally Posted by rm_-rf_windows View Post
    It's times like this that I'm tempted to change my pseudo, in this case to rm_-rf_mandriva. I wouldn't go as far as changing it to mkdir_windows though...
    I don't understand what you mean. That tells you precisely which distro you're using! It also has nothing to do with urpmi ...

Just Joined!
    2007 ?
    2007 Spring ?

... or perhaps another of the choices offered...

Okay, okay, you think it's 2007, but my point here is that there is some degree of ambiguity here. It'd be better if the choices matched the results you get when entering these commands.

So you're pretty sure 2007 is what I should choose? I installed Mandriva in April 2007, and all I jotted down on my DVD is "Mandriva Free 2007"...

I hate it when there is ambituity! Oh well, the distro is free, so I guess I shouldn't complain...

Thanks for your help.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    It is not so hard, to go to the Mandriva site to clarify the releases if you think there is ambiguity.

Hi - I suppose Mandriva's new release policy is a little 'different.' It's pretty stable / okay once you get used to it, but if you want to try other distros then that's healthy! I've tried to avoid 'recommending' it, though it works for me.

Some issues with easy-urpmi are:

mirror sites are sometimes out of date: it's a good idea to check them manually in a browser, as this is something I've had problems with myself;

I would cut and paste each http or ftp link from easy-urpmi separately and see how it goes ... It's not quite the quick cut and paste fix it appears to be.

All the best - fingal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast