Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi friends , i'm totaly new in Linux world .. i just installed Mandrake 10.1 , trying to start SQUID cahce to serve request from my lan , i'm facing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Totaly lost in editing files

hi friends , i'm totaly new in Linux world .. i just installed Mandrake 10.1 , trying to start SQUID cahce to serve request from my lan , i'm facing a disaster problem .. i cant edit squid.conf !!!! because it said i'm not the owner !!!! who is the owner for god sake ???
    at installation i wrote the root password and its ok , but in login screen there is no root choice , its only the user choice , which is nopt the OWNER !!!!!

please please please , i want to edit that file squid.conf ... and i want to do it using one of the gui editor ( please dont advice me to use console one's ) ..

please i'm waiting , i guess its so easy for linux users , so i'm waiting ..

You must edit that file as the root user or su -
    Open a terminal and login as root like this
    Code:
    su -
    (then press enter) (type password then press enter again)
    If su - doesn't work, then use sudo like this
    Code:
    sudo gedit/path/to/squid.conf
    Since you don't want to use the command line, I would advise you to use this command if you have Gnome installed.
    Code:
    gedit /path/to/squid.conf &
    or if you have KDE, use this command.
    Code:
    kedit /path/to/squid.conf &
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 06-03-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added sudo bit
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot for this fast reply , i'll try it , but i wonder why i cant login gnome or kde gui as the root ?? so i can use windows to go to squid.conf then dbl click on it , editing it ??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by samsoft View Post
    thanks a lot for this fast reply , i'll try it , but i wonder why i cant login gnome or kde gui as the root ?? so i can use windows to go to squid.conf then dbl click on it , editing it ??
    My understanding is this: running any Desktop Environment as root is a huge security risk, and should not be taken lightly.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    its a personal computer , why its easy in terminal and hard in gui ? why you linux experts always hate GUI ? why they invent GUI ? to make life easier .. right ? so why i have to take the hard way ? while there is a simpler way ?
    linux is in a competition with other ( easier ) OS , and if it has to win it has to be easier .. i know its a PROJECT , open source , etc ... but there must be an end , at least a final complete releases , easy to use , powerfull as LINUX.

why its easy in terminal and hard in gui ?
    I just showed you the easiest way to do it, that wasn't so hard was it?
    why you linux experts always hate GUI ?
    First of all, I am far from a Linux expert, I just fiddle with a lot of stuff, thats how I know these things. And secondly, I don't hate GUI, I use KDE myself,
    why they invent GUI ? to make life easier .. right?
    There are times when using the GUI is a big pain in the ass, when all I want to do is compile something I have no need for a GUI.
    linux is in a competition with other ( easier ) OS
    Not in my opinion, Linux isn't in it for the competition. Linux is just an alternative, to MS and or Mac.
    but there must be an end , at least a final complete releases , easy to use , powerfull as LINUX.
    My Linux install is as powerful as anything made from MS, of course I had to make it that way. I can do almost anything a MS user can do.
    You have to realize that Linux isn't for everyone. And not every distro will be the one you need, maybe you need to try a different distro or stick with MS.

Just Joined!
    ok , i can edit the file , thanx for help ..
    now i just cant find the way to run squid !!! i did it before on fedora , now on mandrake it seems different , i just cant find : /usr/local/squid as in fedora ..

now every time i enter squid in command line there must be an error like :
    squid -z
    -bash: squid: command not found
    squid -k configure

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by samsoft View Post
    ok , i can edit the file , thanx for help ..
    now i just cant find the way to run squid !!! i did it before on fedora , now on mandrake it seems different , i just cant find : /usr/local/squid as in fedora ..

now every time i enter squid in command line there must be an error like :
    squid -z
    squid -k configure
    Squid is in /usr/sbin in Mandriva 2007. If you are trying to run that with a non-supervisor account, the system is probably lying to you because you aren't a supervisor and therefore shouldn't know anything about what's in /usr/sbin. Instead of the above, try

sudo squid -z

and

sudo squid -k configure

which will (temporarily) give you the supervisor's rights needed to run squid.