Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, well I'm using Linux every now and then, and it's only because everything takes a long time to do = will explain later. I was using Red Hat, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installation of any package

Hi guys,

well I'm using Linux every now and then, and it's only because everything takes a long time to do = will explain later.

I was using Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe and now Mandriva 2007.

I want to stay with Linux instead of windows(that's why I chose Mandriva), but there is lot of things that keeps my hands off any version of Linux. Maybe the problem is ME(myself) but I really want to get through, so please help.

The bigest problem for me is to install anything under Linux, anything I download, or get from somewhere, is for different distro or has a different extension, and it always steals a lot of time off my life, which I really can't afford as I have very little time for my self.

for example, I need to install virtualBox, which should be part of Mandriva DVD, but it is not there, so I've found it on web, downloaded it and here we are - problem - can't install it, because there is no doc about installing it under mandriva and this is where I spend most of my time - looking for solutions how to install some little program (this is a little explanation of first sentence)

I have these 2 packages downloaded:
    VirtualBox-1.4.0_21864_mdv2007.1-1.i586.rpm.run
    VirtualBox_1.4.0_Linux_amd64.run

the first one looks familiar - RPM, but what about the run on the end ???

I have found some description about different file with run extension and it told me to use some command that I have used and here is what happened:
    Code:
    $ sh ./VirtualBox_1.4.0_Linux_amd64.run
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing VirtualBox for Linux installation........
    VirtualBox Version 1.4.0 (Wed Jun  6 10:03:19 CEST 2007) installation

Usage: install [<installation directory>] | uninstall

Example:
    ./VirtualBox_1.4.0_Linux_amd64.run install
    I have tried the example, but it gives me error:
    Code:
    $ ./VirtualBox_1.4.0_Linux_amd64.run install
    bash: ./VirtualBox_1.4.0_Linux_amd64.run: Permission denied
    so I've spent another 30 minutes just looking for some help - NO luck

that's why I'm trying to get help in these forums.

I never ask for help, but now I really want this to be running.

Why there isn't some universal UI for installing packages of any type, that would really help me and other people who want to use Linux, but for all these reasons they won't. I'm a IT technician and half PHP/MySQL coder, so I know a bit of everything and I have no problem to learn, but I really don't have time for stuff like this. Is there at least a chance to get some doc about installing any type of packages ?

double click on packages would really help

one more thing, what's the best folder to install stuff to // as in windows is Program files ???

thank you guys

much appreciate your help.

Wink

Hello

It's better to use urpmi to install Mandriva packages. I see how you're thinking, but if you download rpms not designed for Mandriva they might sometimes work, but you're likely to have issues.

Urpmi can either work from the command line or from the GUI in the Mandriva Control Centre, where it's called 'Install Software'. To use it, you'll need to find some Mandriva repositories for your distro and set them up. There's no guarantee that the package you want will be there, but it might be.

Please check out easyurpmi here.

If your package isn't in a repository then it would be better to compile it from source rather than use a non-standard rpm. This can be difficult for larger pacakages, but it's often quite simple.

The 'permission denied' message suggests you need to log in as root. No scripts will run unless you do this. Sometimes - after you've downloaded an rpm - you need to set the right permissions for the file / rpm / script using the chmod command as root:

chmod +u <put_file_name_here>

And be sure to read the chmod manual by typing man chmod. It gives a more complete explanation for you.

As for double clicking files, I understand your reasoning, but Linux just isn't designed that way. A user GUI can give the impression that 'this is a bit like Windows' but that isn't the case.

All this assumes that you're using a 64 bit chip. If not, it won't install for that reason. So you need to ask yourself a few questions about your hardware, where you're getting your rpms from and what you want to achieve.

It should be possible to get your package working with a little patience. Once you've done that things will seem much easier, but that can take a while.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

solved

Hi there,

thanx for the detailed explanation, you helped a lot mainly and probably only with the URPMI packages, that moved me big step further, but still didn't make the run package running. I was switched under root when I was doing the installation, but that didn't make any difference.

Anyway I've installed the VirtualBox via install panel (URPMI) where all those links helped very much(easyurpmi).

Still I'm having problem with other stuff, now mainly with flash player under firefox is not working and I can't find solution. I'll give it a try later again.

I really don't understand this :
    If your package isn't in a repository then it would be better to compile it from source rather than use a non-standard rpm
    --------------------
    It should be possible to get your package working with a little patience. Once you've done that things will seem much easier, but that can take a while.
    well thanks, the package is working now but it took me about 3 hours
    and that's the main problem - everything takes too long

My Linux is working ok , but I can't get my wide screen working, so my screen is set to 4:3 which looks ok but the waste of the space.
    you know there is still lot of stuff to fix and adjust, but it will never end as it is very time consuming and painfull

thank you very much and maybe I'll come back for some answers later, but now I've decided to stay with windows and use the Linux in virtual box to see if I can make it working my way.

Hi again: try this for Flash.

The bit you didn't understand: rpms are a good way to install software, but there's another way to do it. You can download the source code and actually compile it on your own system.

There are lots of other threads about doing this. Have a search here on the Forums if you're curious.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Flash

Hey,

the flash you've sent me, I have tried before, and that's actually the one that doesn't work, I can install it, but mozilla can't see it, still saying missing plugin.

thanks

Hi - Yes plugins can be nasty. Fortunately there's a solution to most plugin problems ... finding one can frankly be a pain.

From this site: PluginDoc: Flash Player FAQ
    On Linux, download Flash Player 9. Once downloaded, copy libflashplayer.so to your Mozilla plugins directory and flashplayer.xpt to your Mozilla components directory.
    I had the same trouble when I installed Flash Player 9, but I fixed it. I don't remember how (I probably tried the solution above) but it works now.

This needs some knowledge of using a command line / terminal. You might want to think about using the following commands:

cp, ln, mv, find ...

Good luck!