Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a problem with Samba. It is impossible to connect to my network. The error message says "Could not connect to host local host (port 901). Anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Samba Connexion Error

Hi all,

I have a problem with Samba. It is impossible to connect to my network. The error message says "Could not connect to host local host (port 901).
    Anyone has an idea on how to solve this problem?

Cheers to all

Riganta

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by riganta View Post
    Hi all,

I have a problem with Samba. It is impossible to connect to my network. The error message says "Could not connect to host local host (port 901).
    Anyone has an idea on how to solve this problem?

Cheers to all

Riganta
    Quite difficult to answer this without knowing what you have done so far to set Samba up, and what you are doing when you get the error.

Firstly, you need to establish that your machines can talk to each other at a network level. Can you ping each machine from the others? You can do this from the Linux command line or a Windows command line (what long of tooth Windoze users (who? me?) call DOS prompt).

If thats OK, can you see your Samba share from your Windows PC? If not, have you created users in Samba?
    Have you set permissions for your Samba share(s)?

If you can see the share, do you get prompted to log in when you try to access them from Windoze? Is that when you get the message?

I am trying to do something very similar to you - I have a home network of 4 desktops (2 x Win98, 2 x Win2K) and 3 laptops (2 x XP and 1 Vista), and am setting up a Linux server to back them up to tape. I have had it working once, but then had to rebuild the server. I am struggling to remember what I did first time round, and have reached the point where the shares are visible but it won't let me browse them. It prompts me for log/password, then won't allow me to see the files. I got here before, and am fairly sure it is a permissions problem, bu can't remember where.

You're probably thinking "If he has a back-up server, why didn't he back the server up?". Well I did, but the fault I had meant that I could only boot to the command line. I don't know how to run the restore from the command line. I've only been using Linux since September 2006, and most of the folk on here know more than me about it. I didn't get a reply when I asked on here how to run the restore, so rebuilt the server instead. I still harbour hopes of repairing the original build, so did the rebuild on a different disk (I am fortunate to have 4!).

Just Joined!
    In addition to Stairforce's recommendations, also be sure the Firewall is set for a SAMBA server (appropriate ports are open).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close