Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey im trying to install the kernel sources so i can get 3d support by installing the ati driver but it wont let me. im now on kernel 1.18.14 i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing kernel sources (that package cannot be selected) ati

hey im trying to install the kernel sources so i can get 3d support by installing the ati driver but it wont let me.
    im now on kernel 1.18.14 i think, well the latest one anyway that you can download. ivve done all the updates but havent tried it since updating everything

Quote Originally Posted by mikey0000 View Post
    hey im trying to install the kernel sources so i can get 3d support by installing the ati driver but it wont let me.
    who doesn't let you ?

im now on kernel 1.18.14
    are you sure that it's your kernel ? since this kernel is from 1995.

Have you tried to install the kernel source from the mandriva default installer ?

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    who doesn't let you ?
    the install program, umm its the install update and remove center.

are you sure that it's your kernel ? since this kernel is from 1995.
    no im not sure what the kernel is but its the latest one from the updater online. ive used smart for my updating ect
    Have you tried to install the kernel source from the mandriva default installer ?

Regards.
    from the default installer? you mean from the disc? Currently i dont know how to install from the disc other than when it asks me for the disc.
    sounds like a good idea though.

just another thought, with updating anything if it has updates 1,2,3,4 of the same package.
    should i be installing one after another or just the latest?

Just Joined!
    the install program, umm its the install update and remove center.
    To me, Mandriva's graphical tools for package handling are flakey. You can get around that if you go to the command line. To download and install packages you use urpmi, and to install packages that you have at hand, use rpm.

Lots of times, I just pull individual package files off a Mandriva repository with gftp and installed them with rpm.

no im not sure what the kernel is but its the latest one from the updater online. ive used smart for my updating ect
    Go into a terminal window and enter uname -r to get the kernel version.

from the default installer? you mean from the disc? Currently i dont know how to install from the disc other than when it asks me for the disc.
    sounds like a good idea though.
    There are two ways: you can find a package file on the disk with konqueror and click on it, or in terminal you can enter "rpm -ivh [path to and name of package file]" (no quotes). You need to be root to do either thing. Or, you can start konqueror with root access by entering "sudo konqueror" in a terminal window. Or you enter "sudo rpm -ivh [path to and name of package file]". If you want to upgrade an existing package rather than install a new one, the command is "sudo rpm -Uvh [path to and name of package file]".

Mandriva packages files end with the extension .rpm

just another thought, with updating anything if it has updates 1,2,3,4 of the same package.
    should i be installing one after another or just the latest?
    Just the latest.

cheers

kul thanks for telling me that the update tools are flakey lol! sweet as ill download the corisponding source package and install it via rpm, gotta love ivh! ive used fedora more than mandriva. thanks heaps lata