Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I am very slowly finding my way around Mandriva but cannot find how to view the contents of the various drives or see what is on them (Harddrives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How To View Drives/contents Of Drives

Hello All,

I am very slowly finding my way around Mandriva but cannot find how to view the contents of the various drives or see what is on them (Harddrives ,cd/dvd and usb connected devices? can anyone tell me how to do this ??.

Many thanks for any help.

Badger England UK

drives

if you want to access windows drives ull have to use ntfs-3g
    if your looking for your drive cds usb, they will be under devices.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by BADGER.BRAD View Post
    Hello All,

I am very slowly finding my way around Mandriva but cannot find how to view the contents of the various drives or see what is on them (Harddrives ,cd/dvd and usb connected devices? can anyone tell me how to do this ??.

Many thanks for any help.

Badger England UK
    Linux appends devices like hard drives and DVD and CD drives to its directory tree. Check out the man page for the mount command, by entering this in a terminal window:

man mount

By default (most) linux distributions can mount ntfs drives, that's without write-support. Check my reply to this thread, for an explanation on how to get ntfs-3g working.

Just Joined!

Many Thanks All

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the info, although as a poor ex Windows user I found most of it a bit above my poor Brains level ( I need a good book). I Now Have worked out (with your Help) How to play MP3's from the Many discs I have which has ticked off another thing I need to be able to do with Mandriva to Make it as usefull as Windoze was to me before. Devices ! why didn't I look there before ? I am learning that if nothing else Linux users really want to help others.

Many Thanks all.

Badger.Brad England UK

Just Joined!

How to view drives/ contests under Mandriva

Brad,
    You cannot only view drives under Linux but you can read and copy all your files on the Windows C: partition.

Here's how:

If you have the KDE desktop install under Mandriva

Start up Konqueror accessed by clicking at the top left of the desktop scree.

Click on the GO - Fourth menu item.

Now Click on STORAGE MEDIA.

You will see a number of drives appear. The WINDOWS drive is usually the first - far left followed by your Linux Data/Programs, followed by your LINUX Operating system partition.

CLICk on the Windows one and ALL your Windows folders will appear.

Click on My Documents, say, and all your files will be there. You can click on a word document and OpenOffice (under Linux) will open it up.

OR you can copy/paste folders or docs etc to your Linux Data partition.

There is a more complicated route, but why use it.

It really is that simple.

If you are using GNOME, choose Places from the Desktop and navigate to the Windows partition.

Btw, Windows CANNOT read a Linux partition. Bill wants us all to believe that Linux does not exist!!

Enjoy Linux and feel more free without all those viruses to worry about.

Tony

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Littlejohn View Post
    Btw, Windows CANNOT read a Linux partition. Bill wants us all to believe that Linux does not exist!!
    Actually it can, and very easily, too, with explore2fs.exe. (I don't know if it works with reiserfs but it reads ext2 and ext3 without problem in my experience.)

Quote Originally Posted by Seren
    (I don't know if it works with reiserfs but it reads ext2 and ext3 without problem in my experience.)
    only ext2 and ext3 filesystems are supported by explore2fs.exe. check here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First