Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know to edit menu.lst where it says Default 0 to the number I want it to boot to. Im booting Mandrake 8.1 with Windows 2000. The fourth on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing default OS on dual boot

I know to edit menu.lst where it says Default 0 to the number I want it to boot to. Im booting Mandrake 8.1 with Windows 2000. The fourth on the list is Windows 2000 so I put Default 4 and it booted to Linux by default. So to make sure that the numbering did not start at 0 instead of 1 I made Default 3 and it still booted to Linux any idea?

Linux Enthusiast
    Don't know what the problem is. What you did should have worked.
    One thing you can try is make the default OS section (with title and everything) be first on the list.

Edit: On the other hand, you only have 2 OSs, but 4 lists. Where do the extra lists point to (which drive/partition)?
    Can you post the content of menu.lst and output of:
    Code:
    fdisk -l

Just Joined!

That would he hard to do

Because I have to boot into linux to mess with the files, then reboot to windows to get on the internet. I have a my modem hooked up by USB because I dont have a NIC card. I can try and hook up my printer and print it, but the printer is just a few months old and Im using Mandrake 8.1. I will try and place WinNT as the first in the list. I have already backed menu.lst in case I mess something up.

if you Mandrake partitions are formatted in exr2 or ext3 filesystem, you can mount those in Windows. install fs-driver in Windows. it will mount Linux ext3/ext2 partitions. post the contents of menu.lst file.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    its formatted in EXT2 i believe something like that. I going to switch around the order of the items in menu.lst right now. I will let you know what happens.

Just Joined!

I got it

Under the Control Center it said that I was using lilo thats why when I editied the grub file it did not work. I told it to use grub and it worked. My question now is how can I tell which is being used as the bootloader in the shell? And how would I go about editing lilo?

there is no any command to check Boot Loader in use. you can identify Boot Loader by looking at Menu at startup. Menus of GRUB and Lilo have different Interface.

And how would I go about editing lilo?
    edit /etc/lilo.conf file and set default value to 'lable' name instead of title line number as in menu.lst.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

If you edit lilo.conf, don't forget to actually run "lilo" afterward. Otherwise, the lilo bootloader will remain unchanged and it will be oblivious to your changes.

Basically, the difference between lilo and grub is:

1. Lilo's bootloader is self contained in the main boot record. Thus, any changes to the configuration need to be followed up by running a program to make those changes "effective".

2. Grub is partly contained in the main boot record, but upon boot up it checks out /boot/grub/menu.lst for the rest of the way. Thus, any changes to the configuration files are inherently "effective".
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan