Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I took your advice and checked the gateway address assigned by my ISP. They are configured the same on the Linux and what was assigned by the ISP....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gateway Check

I took your advice and checked the gateway address assigned by my ISP. They are configured the same on the Linux and what was assigned by the ISP.

Just Joined!

var/log/messages

I got that var/log/messages thing to work. However it doesn't display any errors on the Ethernet port I am trying to use eth0. It just says errors on the lan connection eth1 and says stuff like printk message suppresed.

hmmm im almost at a blank here. The windows machines are find, but your other is not. Do the slave nodes go through your non-working box to get to the internet or are they plugged into a switch or something. Have you tried simple things like change network cables or plugging into different port on switch if you have one?
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Actually try doing this. Try to ping 64.233.187.99, this is the IP address of google. I know you said you cant ping Google, but if you can ping the ip address and not the domain name then there is something wrong with your resolv.conf. And if still doesnt work, go here Framp's Linux Tips und Beispielkonfigurationen - Usage of collectNWData.sh and check this website for a script that can pinpoint a specific network problem
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Just Joined!

slave nodes

Yes, the slave nodes are connected in a cluster style together to go through this master node. The Internet for some reason on this master node just doesn't work. As for other hardware fixes, I tried a different cable (one i knew worked too) and I tried a different port on the switch (other things on the switch work). This led to no avail.

Also, I tried pinging goggle (yahoo too) at 64.233.187.99 and it says connection refused (so I guess it means its not working). One thing that is interesting is that I tried doing a ping with and without the Ethernet plugged in, and strangely, it doesn't seem to make a difference. Both take a while to come back with a connection refused error message. Right now I'm kinda wondering if the NIC is working or not, maybe it died. Another interesting thing happened when I rebooted it not too long ago, when it started each service/daemon next to the eth0 it said [Failed] instead of [Ok]. However, it only did this on 1 out of 3 reboots I did. As I've said before this setup with the Internet has worked before, but now is strangely not working. BTW, thanks for your help.

Just Joined!

I'm retarded

I can't get that program to work on the linux computer, I tried downloading on windows and moving it over to the linux one. However when I tried all the commands on that website it gave me an error "bash". I keep getting bashed or something. Not really sure what that means.

Just Joined!

I don't know anymore

Feel like I have tried everything. Does anyone have any ideas on anything else I can try?

Just Joined!

Dns

Could it be the nameserver being incorrect that could be causing an issue? Again, thanks for your help dollabillz.

It could be, but I dont see this causing a big enough issue for you not to be able to connect to the internet. I am not sure of much else at this time. If I think of anything I'll let you know
    $Billz

Just Joined!

Tried something interesting.....

so I tried the command....

Code:
     dhclient
    and got back a message that had an error message of:

Code:
     No HPCPOFFERS Recieved
    Code:
     No working leases in persistent database -  sleeping
    Do you think that means anything useful?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast