Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Sounds like your DHCP is having issues and not leasing out any addresses. Linux is looking for a dhcp server to get its ip address and it sounds like it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sounds like your DHCP is having issues and not leasing out any addresses. Linux is looking for a dhcp server to get its ip address and it sounds like it cant find one. I'd check out your DHCP server or at least see if it is even started (service dhcpd status)
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Just Joined!

Ahhh Ha!

Finally..... I messed around a lot with IP addresses and netmasks, and finally got the local group communicating. Also, I have the cluster communicating with the LAN which I had all along. Additionally after changing the Internet to DHCP and using a router I got that to work too. I think the main problem that I have been having was what you were saying, an issue with DHCP licensing or netmask on the static connection. I would like to get the static connection working the way it was but DHCP works too I guess but now I just can't ssh into the computer from outside the LAN. No big deal I suppose.

If all of your other computers are set up to static but the one you switched to DHCP you can still ssh to it, it just takes one other thing to obtain its IP at that time. You can do a ping -b xxx.xxx.xxx.255 or 254 I cant remember. Then you can see which IP address you dont recognize and then ssh to that address or you can resolve the hostname of the computer and get your DNS setup correctly then just type in ssh root@<name of computer> (ie: ssh root@test or ssh root@192.168.0.24) Hope this helps and congrats on fixing your issue, took you a while and I'm glad to see you finally figured it out.
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Just Joined!
    Yes, Thank you VERY much for your help!! If I have any more questions I'll ask you if I think of them.

The problem was that I never set this whole thing up and I don't know linux that well. But eventually by I figured it out by dumb luck.

Just Joined!

Nerdy info

Quote Originally Posted by darkrain777 View Post
    I got that var/log/messages thing to work. However it doesn't display any errors on the Ethernet port I am trying to use eth0. It just says errors on the lan connection eth1 and says stuff like printk message suppresed.
    BTW printk is a function for printing to the screen in Linux programming with C. Probably doesn't help you in any way, but it could impress people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3