Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello.. I'm Installing my mandriva linux and I don't know what are the best partition do i need to allocate?? I have a 256MB of RAM and 40GB of Hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hard Disk Partitioning

Hello..
    I'm Installing my mandriva linux and I don't know what are the best partition do i need to allocate?? I have a 256MB of RAM and 40GB of Hard Disk..any idea pls!!

Ages since I did that myself, but I think you'll need about 500MB of Swap space ... The rest of your drive should be divided up between space for system files ( which you only access as root: / ) and personal files in your /home directory.

A common mistake is to allocate too much space for /home and not enough for / . This means that you would risk running out of space when you want to install new software, but I would have the /home (personal space) section slightly larger as this is where you'll keep a lot of files: music etc...

Does that make any sense? If it's just a desktop PC you don't need to think too hard, but a server would - for security reasons - require a more complex partitioning plan. Personally I'm never 100% happy with the way I've divided my hdds, but they work very well.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso