Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandriva 2007.1, and the GUI does not start. I come to the graphical login screen, and logging on causes a freeze. I have tried starting KDE and GNOME ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Mandriva GUI does not work.

I have Mandriva 2007.1, and the GUI does not start. I come to the graphical login screen, and logging on causes a freeze. I have tried starting KDE and GNOME sessions and both do not work. If I go in the console and enter startx, it tells me something like:could not load /lib/xorg/<something>/<something> and could not load something else. It also says:OS BUILD version: Unknown., but this might be normal. It started when we downloaded a big bunch of Mandriva updates, and on the GRUB screen, it showed linux-legacy, and legacy-1.6.something. When we tried booting into linux-legacy, it froze and we had to restart. When we tried to boot into Normal Mandriva 2007.1, we got that problem. Please help!

Not sure by try to set your screen resolution to something a little lower in your /etc/X11.xorg.conf file just to see if you can boot into the GUI then. When you did the updates did something get screwed up with your video driver?

UPDATE:

You can also look at this post http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...esolution.html and see if it helps you. Devils_casper does a great job at explaining a different way of doing this
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Just Joined!
    Hmmm... Just the night before I ran the video card setup tool, and it told me: there is a proprietary driver for your video board, do you wish to use it? Before that KDE kept crashing and the window bars kept disappearing. When I tried to refresh the window manager, it just got a white screen and I had to log out. So I have had problems before, but not this big.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I would suggest re-installing your video drivers and see if that makes a different. Sounds like something might have gotten screwed up during the update
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Quote Originally Posted by Granpire
    Hmmm... Just the night before I ran the video card setup tool, and it told me: there is a proprietary driver for your video board, do you wish to use it? Before that KDE kept crashing and the window bars kept disappearing. When I tried to refresh the window manager, it just got a white screen and I had to log out. So I have had problems before, but not this big.
    Boot up in Single use mode and post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

OK, Mandriva has been reinstalled, and the problem seems to be fixed. KDE stills crashes from time to time, though. I tried to edit the xorg.conf file, but I could not quit vi, because I'm not very good with the terminal. Strangely, the background keeps going blank. It's acting strange. BTW, I think that it was about the xorg.conf file. In it it said something about 1200x1024 preferred mode, and our monitor is just 1024x768. That might have fixed it, but I couldn't get vi to quit.

You can use pico or nano instead of vi.
    In vi, press Esc key to exit from any mode. Full Colon ( : ) and x to save and exit.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First